News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

what is this??

Started by Doug Rose, July 05, 2013, 09:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I found this inside an old parking meter that was made into a lamp? Last pic, it was inside the open door. It was not connected. Looks like mercury inside a tube. Two cloth leads, on from the tube to an interface, one looks like it could connect to "whatever" and "whatever" would connect back to the interface. What is this??....Doug
Kidphone

DavePEI

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 05, 2013, 09:05:27 AM
I found this inside an old parking meter that was made into a lamp? Last pic, it was inside the open door. It was not connected. Looks like mercury inside a tube. Two cloth leads, on from the tube to an interface, one looks like it could connect to "whatever" and "whatever" would connect back to the interface. What is this??....Doug
Hi Doug:

I am guessing it is some kind of tilt switch - if the meter would be tilted slightly, the mercury would short out the contacts closing the switch, perhaps sending an alarm???

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

LarryInMichigan

It is a mercury switch like the ones which used to be used in thermostats.  When the bulb is tilted, the mercury moves and closes the switch.  I would think that the parking meter was strictly mechanical.  Perhaps some clever person added the mercury switch to turn on the lamp when the meter reached one end or the other.

Larry

Dennis Markham

I happen to have a similar parking meter that was given to me some years ago.  It was made in to a lamp.  The mercury switch was connected to the red flag.  When the flag comes up after the time runs out, the light turns off.  When a coin is inserted and time is put on the meter, the light comes on again.

DavePEI

Quote from: Dennis Markham on July 05, 2013, 09:35:30 AM
I happen to have a similar parking meter that was given to me some years ago.  It was made in to a lamp.  The mercury switch was connected to the red flag.  When the flag comes up after the time runs out, the light turns off.  When a coin is inserted and time is put on the meter, the light comes on again.

Makes perfect sense for a mercury switch!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Doug Rose

thanks  guys...I d appreciate it...Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

You could wire the meter in series with a phone and use it as a coin collector.

Deposit a nickel for the next hour!  (Cheap!)   ;D
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Kenton K

Be very careful not to drop it or drop anything on it. I was replacing some old thermostats which all had mercury switches. One of them broke and I got mercury all over. The switch just broke when I dropped an aa battery on it. You may want to hazardous waste recycle it or put it in a vial to protect it.

-Ken

twocvbloke

Mercury really isn't as bad as it's made out to be, yes, in huge, constant doses it can make your teeth turn green and then fall out, and make you go mad as a hatter (cos hatmakers used mercury-laced weewee to make hats, cos mercury was a syphilis treatment many moons ago, and the repeated exposure mercury made them go bananas), but an accidental breakage of something like a mercury switch isn't much of an issue, just keep the windows open an the room well-ventilated until it's been cleaned up and the remains evaporated... :)

And as for CFLs & fluorescent tubes, there's not enough in them to be of a danger to anyone, you'd have to smash several thousand of them before the mercury becomes a problem, but by then you'd have been poisoned by the phosphors and probably sliced to shreds by the glass... :o

Dan/Panther

We used to coat dimes with mercury in our bare hands. We all turned out fine.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

paul-f

Dan,

The plastic surgeries have worked wonders!

I hope your dentist is as skillful.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan/Panther

Paul; They did work pretty good. Here is the before photo.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson