News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40 Navy Phone

Started by Doug Rose, September 14, 2019, 06:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I got an AE40 Navy phone at Brimfield with a damaged case for $25. Today I took the locking device off and stripped the paint off. I added it to a AE40 I had and it made a really nice phone. It was not easy to get the paint off, but the brass shined up very well.

This is a very cool looking telephone, especially with the brass showing though the finger wheel holes and the aluminum silver dial plate.....Doug
Kidphone

SunriseEarth

Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893

countryman

Quote from: SunriseEarth on September 15, 2019, 12:07:58 AM
That is a beaut!

No doubt it is. Would you mind telling a newbie the story behind "navy phones" and why they are built with this type of armature? I guess a brief outline will bring me on the right track...

Jack Ryan

It is an AE 40 used on a shipboard automatic exchange. The serious looking cradleware is a clamp to hold the handset in place in rough seas or rough maneuvers.

They are not uncommon but they are commonly broken as, apparently, this one was.

Regards
Jack

countryman

Cool stuff. Thanks for the explanation!

Doug Rose

Usually paint will bubble and slide off with Citrix stripper. Not so with this beauty. This took a lot of scrubbing with steel wool  and sandpaper. The original phone looks like it took a trip to the floor. Seller didn't know what he had and asked my why it was there. I hated to pay $25 for a broken phone, but I was happy with the outcome.

The lock is all part of the plunger assembly and was easily removed, except for one stripped screw  >:(. of course it was the last one. I took forever to get it out.

Even with thick  gloves, I have stripper hands this morning...Doug
Kidphone