dsk's group of test sets and a Payphone for $124 US picked up in Oslo
4 (16%)
Compubit's WECo 464 including complete cloth cable for $30 from a Flea Market
12 (48%)
Teleplay's June 1956 date matching black 500 CD from an Antique Mall for $15.76
7 (28%)
Sargeguy's WECo 20-C candlestick with matching telescoping arm for $63 on eBay
14 (56%)
NorthernElectric's Northern Electric N50AL for $179.95 plus $14.76 shipping on eBay
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

AE_Collector

Post your "Find of the Month" for April 2015 here.

A "Find of the Month" is a telephone or a related item that you acquired during the month that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" that you got on it.

The "Find of the Month" contest is focused on the collection of telephones rather than on their sale for a profit. To be eligible for the "Find of the Month" contest:

- The finder must have personally acquired and actually own the item.
- The item can be acquired for free but it can not be a gift or present from anyone.
- The item (or any of its components) cannot be put up for sale during the contest period.
- Only one "Find" per owner can be in a "Find of the Month" contest.

A Nomination Should Include:

1) at least one picture of the item.
2) the price & shipping cost.
3) where and/or how it was found.
4) the forum link if discussed in another topic on CRPF.
5) the eBay link if won there.
6) and other information of importance about the find.

Ideally your item would be posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum such as "Auction Talk", "Flea Market/Yard Sale Finds" or "Collectors Corner" Board. Then you or anyone else can nominate your "Find" to the Current "Find of the Month" thread by posting at least one picture and other details including the price paid, any shipping costs and a link to the original discussion on the forum. It is not a requirement that your find be posted elsewhere on the forum but the more details the better.

Nominations of phones listed in other forum discussion topics, by members that do not own the item but realize it is indeed a "find" worthy of being nominated as a "Find of the Month" candidate, are always welcome.

Please pick your best "Find" to submit for the month limiting your entry to one phone or one "Find" that might include multiple items. If you have already entered for the month and come up with something even better either submit your new find indicating that it replaces your previous entry OR you can enter your new Find in next months contest.

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on PhotoBucket. Thanks John.

To check them out, click --> HERE <--

Terry

AE_Collector

Fabius

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 02, 2015, 06:25:19 PM
Moved the Telephone Pioneers Bronze Pin discussion to its own topic:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14081.0

Terry

I removed a big part of the original post that might of been considered "discussion".

Bought on eBay. Total cost $13. Medal is 4" x 2.5" (10.16cm x 6.35cm). Marked on rim: WHITEHEAD & HOAG. Notice the 2 "feet" on the backside top of the medal, so when displayed it sits up a little.

The medal was issued by the HOOSIER STATE CHAPTER NO. 16. This chapter is still in existence but is now known as AT&T Pioneer Chapter 16.

On the front top is the Telephone Pioneers of America emblem and a map of the State of Indiana. The map has names placed at different locations. on the back it states:

INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA

MARCH 5, 1930

IN THE SPIRIT OF THE CONSTITUTION OF THE TELEPHONE PIONEERS OF AMERICA
THIS MEDAL IS STRUCK IN HONOR OF

CURTIS H. ROTTGER 47 YRS

EDGAR L. TAYLOR     45 YRS

GEORGE G. HALL       41 YRS

EDGAR T. BONDS      36 YRS

JAMES G. PRICE        24 YRS

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

dsk

Some time ago I bought a phone from the son of a phone repair man.

Suddenly he mailed me; nobody wants to buy the rest of my phones, please buy them for NOK 1000, or I put them in the trash.  (approx $124)  so I said yos please. Went away and picked them up in Oslo.

The payphone is a so called single coin phone, painted and addressed with congratulations at the 50 years anniversary of his father. (1991)  The keys are missing, so I wonder if I have to drill the ABLOY locks up, or if I am able to pick them. (I guess I have to drill, but that is surprisingly easy) The but-sets are all used by his father, and when he was working in Telegrafverket/Televerket/Telenor as our monopoly was named in different times.  Some other phones too, and a DC ringer with 500 ohms resistance. (I had to repair one coil). 

Now I wonder if one of you may tell me about the but sets, especially the orange and black ones, never seen those before. The ITT diagram are from the rotary but-sets.

dsk

Added April 12:
The payphone are modified to work like a regular phone, the elctronic validator lets the old coins (1 NOK up to 1996) go to the vault, others in return.

If you look at the touch tone phones, you will see calculator layout on the buttons.  Still problems figuring out anything about the orange butt-set.

dsk

AE_Collector

I recognize the two blue and the yellow Harris TS21 test sets but not the other ones.

Nice haul Dag!

Terry

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

dsk

The payphone has been adjusted so it works without coins, (straps and cuts in the printed board) and I cant decide if I should try to get it back as it was or not. I don't think it is a keeper so maybe not.

dsk

PS
The black but set is interesting, it has a LED glowing when billing signal is sent, the orange one is just strange.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14196.msg148207#msg148207
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14171.msg147911#msg147911

DS

compubit

I have two I'm excited about, so I'll do one now and one next month.

First up is the 464 for $30, including complete cloth cable, with spade lugs on the end of each wire.  Originally marked for $40, I was able to negotiate to $30.  Has the original number card, as well as a "G" transparent letter over the number.  Phone tested - dials and rings properly (when connected to the different connection points inside the phone).

Bought it at the "First Monday" flea market in Canton, TX on Easter weekend.

General discussion here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14103.0

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

AE_Collector

Only 3 Finds nominated for April so far?

Terry

TelePlay

I'll nominate my June 1956 all original, date matching black 500 CD that I found at an Antique Mall for a total cost of $15.76. The phone dials out and rings as purchased. The plastics and base are in very good condition.

Housing 6-1-56 in yellow ink; Ringer 6-56 in vermillion ink; 425B network 6-56; G1 handset (receiver end) 6/56 in vermillion ink
Transmitter cap 5-56 in vermillion ink; T1 6-4-56 in black ink; Receiver cap 6-56 in vermillion ink; U1 6-4-56 in yellow ink
Dial 7D  -3  5-56 in vermillion ink; Handset Cord Restraint H4BH  5 || 6; Line Cord Restraint D3BB  5 || 6

The phone is being discussed at this topic:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14155.0

Sargeguy

I'll nominate my Western Electric 20-C candlestick with matching telescoping arm.  While these vertically mounted candlesticks come up for sale reatively frequently, the arms themselves are very hard to find.  I have been looking for an arm for my 20-A since I purchased it a while ago.  The last one I know of sold for around $250.  This one cost me $63 plus postage.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

NorthernElectric

I'm in this month with the Northern Electric N50AL that I just received in the mail today.  I bought this off eBay a week ago and posted about it here.  I paid $179.95US for it and $14.76US shipping.  The shaft and transmitter were turned around into a left hander but I managed to get the nut off with the help of a little oil and turned it back to the way it was made. It'll need a bit of work (mostly new wires) and refinishing but I got my 1st dial stick!
Cliff

AE_Collector

Okay, lets vote for Find of the Month for April 2015.

There are six contestants this month so lets do two votes each.

Terry

AE_Collector

Okay, thats it for the April 2015 Find of the Month! It was a close competition between Compubit's WECo 464 with original clith cord and Sargeguy's WECo 20-C candlestick with matching telescoping arm.

In the end Sargeguy squeaked by for the win.......I know!, whats the chances of that....a candlestick winning the Find of the Month!

Good competition Compubit, it was a close race. And to everyone in this months competition, all "Finds" had their followers this month. And thanks to all who took the time to check the competitors out and vote.

Congratulations again Sargeguy.

Here is the "Find of the Month - Winners List" for all contests to date:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12971.0

Terry

compubit

Came in second, as usual!!  (Just kidding!)

Everything we save from the recycle bin or dumpster makes us winners,

Now on to May's contest!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!