News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ivory vs. White in 1962.

Started by Dan/Panther, April 26, 2010, 09:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I'm having a hard time convincing myself that both of these phones are white.
Here are the caps from the handset from both phones, both dated 6-62. Both have not been cleaned yet the ones on the Left are Ivory inside and out, the ones on the right are White inside and out.  The shell on the one is White inside and out and  the other is Ivory inside and out. Both phones are very consistent as far as color on every exposed and hidden part, even the cords match. I think the one phone has a White dial added by mistake, anyway to know other than the dial, if one is White, and the other is Ivory ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan

Your sentence says the ones on the left are Ivory in and out and the one on the LEFT is white inside and out. I don't know which is white or ivory to start with.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

Dan;
They are all marked as White, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself the ones on the left are white, according to the dial markings.
Here is a photo of the inside and outside of the shell, it appears the same VERY Ivory color no matter where you look, even under the handhold screw. Not a single spot on this phone including the handset and line cord has even a hint of White.
My question is, are the case marked in anyway to determine for sure if it's actually white, or just the wrong dial.
Check the photos, it seems very Ivory to me.
I ran out of sunlight so I'll post a photo of the other shell which shows obvious white inside.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan

Based on your pictures, I would say it is white that has yellowed. You would not believe how they can turn. Whites turn yellow, while ivories turn brownish yellow.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan

Here's what I mean , better illustrated

This is a WHITE phone that has yellowed and looks like your shell

This is the same phone after the peroxide treatment

paul-f

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 26, 2010, 11:12:44 PM
<snip>
My question is, are the case marked in anyway to determine for sure if it's actually white, or just the wrong dial.
<snip>

You are on your own here -- no case markings.  The only parts that I recall seeing color codes on are a few early color bases and on the back of some 7C dials.  They quickly realized that those markings got out of date quickly when sets were refurbished, so they stopped marking the color codes.

To control the colors in manufacturing, BTL provided sets of "color standards."  These were rectangles of plstic made in controlled conditions and packaged in black envelopes to keep out light.  The standards were held up against production parts during QA exams to make sure the colors were true.  The standards spent most of their lives inside the black envelopes, but were still replaced every year or so.

Of course, once sets were put into use, the color fading started and all bets were off.  I believe fading was one of the reasons the Bell System went to polane for refurbishing plastic parts.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

Someone mentioned that early slot cars were the same color standard as the early soft sets. It is probably a 2010 thread.
This was from an ebay seller that was an old phone guy.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.