News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another great local find!

Started by sebbel, February 05, 2013, 11:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebbel

I stumble a single blury picture on and 'Antique Phone' ad on Kijiji. It looked like a D1 one with a subset for 75$. Not the deal of the century but I figured Id go have a look and maybe make an offer.

When I got there the lady show me a B1 with a 2HA dial, Notchless Dial plate and an undamaged, but painted, 684BX. All wiredand ready to use, albeit with new cables. I didn't negotiate gave her the money and ran. I already have one just like it but in my opinion its not the kind of phone I'd leave behind for 75$

I removed the cables but here it is.
Seb.

LarryInMichigan

What a great find.  The handset looks like it is in excellent condition.
Larry

sebbel

I have a number of seamless E1 in the same good condition. I'm personally more excited about the subset. I hardly ever find one with the cover intact. I'm sending it to have restored.

Seb.

LarryInMichigan

Is the subset cover plastic or bakelite?

Larry

HowardPgh

Did Northern Electric make B1s?
Howard
Very great find!!
Howard

poplar1

I was told by my collector friend in Montréal that NE did not make the B-1 mountings. The photo from Bell Canada Archives shows a Stromberg-Carlson non-dial phone was used before the oval base 102/202.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

sebbel

I wondered about that. I've come across 3 so far all were Western base with Northern Subset. Any other Western equipment I've seen in the area was from collectors I know ordered them from ebay.

My first one is the only none Norther Electric phone I'am really attached to. It also the only phone my wife insisted we keep. :)
Seb.

poplar1

Are the handsets on the 3 you found NE or WE?

Besides the high duty on any imported phones or parts (which encouraged AE, NE and others to manufacture in Canada), I believe that there was also either a law or tariff that said that the transmitters had to be manufactured in Canada.

Sargeguy

Nice!  And interesting.  I have seen a NE marked D-1 but not a B-1. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

sebbel

poplar1 : No all were Western. I've also checked the other 2 E1 I have and they are both Western.
Seb.

poplar1

Northern E-1s seem to be difficult to find. Apparently (again, according to my friend in Montréal) a lot of E-1s were replaced with F-1s on the 202s that were reissued.

kleenax

VERY nice find!  I'd like to see a close-up of that paper number card!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

southernphoneman

i hope that phone wasn t left behind, that is one cool phone and the subset is as well

sebbel

Quote from: sebbel on February 06, 2013, 09:46:39 PM
poplar1 : No all were Western. I've also checked the other 2 E1 I have and they are both Western.

Just a note that I just found another B1. Still Western.
Seb.