News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Opinion Needed....AE Stick with a Wrapping on it?

Started by Doug Rose, September 22, 2019, 03:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I picked up this AE stick awhile back. It has a 4 prong on it and it operational without the needed subset. Dials out and conversation is very good.

When I was cleaning it up I noticed the stem looks like it wrapped. I took a flash pic closeup so you can see. I know the MP is a repro, but nothing I have fits, AE, WE, SC. But the repros screws in no issue. Like it was made for it. Also very thick for a repro.

Any ideas about this "wrap." I am not a stick guy and I am not going to take it apart as I cannot even figure how to remove the base cover. I thought it screwed of, but it did not.

thanks for your input...Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Without doubt in my opinion, it is either handmade, or modified to fit that phone. In fact it looks like it is cold rolled steel and not brass.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Dan/Panther on September 23, 2019, 12:49:30 PM
In fact it looks like it is cold rolled steel and not brass.

Many of these were steel - not this steel, but steel not brass.

Jack

Dan/Panther

Jack, Yes I agree. I just do not think that stem is AE, it looks handmade cold rolled steel. It doesn't even look like the took the time to sand it smooth. The seam has spots that look like it were hammered around a dowel.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

tubaman

The wrap looks to me like a coated card/paper that has been stuck on with the steel stem still underneath.
:)

HowardPgh

That should be easy to remove. Just remove the slot head screw by the hookswitch. and remove the screw in the middle of the baseplate. the transmiitter and hookswitch assembly should slide out of the stem (you may have to disconnect some wires in the base). If the wrapping is not on too tight it should lift right up off the stem.
Howard

Doug Rose

I am no longer the owner of this phone. It now resides in another collection...Doug
Kidphone

Jack Ryan

Ignoring any issues the phone had, it did have a tall perch.

Strictly speaking though, a tall perch should be on the correct phone or we end up with zillions of made-up phones like we do with the AE 1.

Jack