News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - January 2013

Started by AE_Collector, January 01, 2013, 02:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - January 2013

Nick in Manitou's "Haul" of 16 Phones for $90 from Jim S.
7 (18.9%)
Babybearjs' NIB Sand Beige AE 187 Keyset for $20.50 on ebaY
4 (10.8%)
Kleenax's Gold Plated Ericofon from an Antique Store for $35
7 (18.9%)
AE_Collector's Autelco (AE48?) Speakerphone for $25 on ebaY
8 (21.6%)
Zaphod01's WECo 500 11-1951 for $15.95 on ebaY
2 (5.4%)
unbeldi's "heemaf 1955" for $14.99 on ebaY
2 (5.4%)
PaulF's "almost Clear" & "Slightly Miniature" AE 34 for free!
21 (56.8%)
Gilas Oxford Gray WECo 500 for $19.95 BIN on ebaY
21 (56.8%)
Vern P's WE Yellow 554 matching dates 6-2-56 found at HIS PLACE!
4 (10.8%)
AdamAnt316's 5302 & June 1952 500T for $30
4 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 37

AE_Collector

Post your "Finds of the Month" for January 2013 here.

"Finds of the Month" are items that you acquired this month that you are particulatly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find one for your collection or the exceptional "deal" you got on it etc.

Terry

Nick in Manitou

Recently I heard from a forum member, Jim S., that he lived nearby in Colorado Springs, and that as the result of an ongoing move to a new house, he might have some phones I would be interested in...

I figured that I would take a look and might be able to afford a phone or two if I stretched the budget a bit.  (I have two or three phones already that are awaiting my attention and I like the idea that all the phones in my collection should work.)

Instead of coming home with 1 or 2 phones...I returned with 16!!!!

Jim and I talked for about 4 hours and I learned a LOT!

I am thrilled with the load of exciting stuff I came home with...all for $90!

Here is a list of the phones:
Stromberg-Carlson 1197
Stromberg-Carlson 1212
Stromberg-Carlson 1248W1
Stromberg-Carlson 1243
Stromberg-Carlson 1243W
Stromberg-Carlson 1243WP
Leich Beehive
(2) Western Electric 302s
Western Electric 5302G
Western Electric Space Saver
Northern Telecom RD1967, Butt Set
Western Electric 500DM, Green
Western Electric 500DM, Ivory
ITT 500, Yellow
Starlite, Automatic Electric, turquoise

Plus:
A Candle Stick phone base
The Telephone Book by H.M. Boettinger
Telephone Almanac from 1930, '32, '33, '34, '36, '37, '38, '39, '43, '54, '59
A stack of ATCA newsletters about 2 feet tall.
(1) Wall phone back-plate that I needed

I don't know if this really qualifies for the "Find of the Month"...but it will keep me busy for a long time!

When these babies get all polished up and working I will have to post a photo of them all together again showing how they look.

AE_Collector

I think it qualifies! All that and NO shipping, great deal.

Did you visit Jim's clear phone collection while there? I am waiting to see if Jim has any clear AE's that have to go!

Terry

Nick in Manitou

Jim is in the middle of a move, so although there was a lot to see, I think is was a small fraction of what he has.  I believe he took the time to actually unpack most of what I saw so that I could be tempted by the type of phones he knew I was interested in.

I was tempted by a lot more than what I came home with!  Certainly, his prices were not the issue - my own available time and space were.

I didn't see any clear phones when I was there, but I had said the my interest was mainly "old black phones".

I would think that during this move (unless they are at the bottom of a pile he has already shifted to the new place) it might be a good time to talk him out of any clear phones he is considering selling!

Nick

Babybearjs

terry, since you are a AE collector, tell me..... how did you miss this??   I just got it on Ebay for $20.50... and I've been looking for this for over 10 years!!!! this is Brand New, In its Box!  it seems these are quite rare indeed!  what is it really worth??   John
John

AE_Collector

I don't miss much "AE" John! I was watching that and I am glad you got it! It was a little tempting but I do have many AE 187 sets though none are NIB. As long as you aren't trying to add them to your 1A2 system they should be good.  I think you have an AE 187 or maybe an 87 already?

Good "Find of the Month"!  Glad this went to a good home.

Terry

Babybearjs

yes, these phones were used in my last home prior to my investment into the 1A1 system. getting a brand new one is a once in a lifetime thing, and I'm glad I got.. Knowing that AE parts are interchangeable, how hard would it be to convert the deskset to a wallset? I know I need the switchhook from a AE 90.... anything else I need to know??
John

kleenax

My humble submission for Jan - 2013: A Gold-plated Ericofon

Found this gem in an antique shop while on our way back from Georgia (to Michigan). A little faded, and has some pitting and plate loss down around the edge, but I figured it was worth $35.00.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

teka-bb

Quote from: kleenax on January 19, 2013, 03:51:09 PM

Found this gem in an antique shop while on our way back from Georgia (to Michigan). A little faded, and has some pitting and plate loss down around the edge, but I figured it was worth $35.00.

Definitely worth $35.00. Could it be a so-called Aztec Gold one:
http://www.ericofon.com/colors/chart.htm
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

kleenax

Quote from: teka-bb on January 19, 2013, 06:29:42 PM
Quote from: kleenax on January 19, 2013, 03:51:09 PM

Definitely worth $35.00. Could it be a so-called Aztec Gold one:
http://www.ericofon.com/colors/chart.htm

I do believe that is exactly what it is.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

AE_Collector

Cool Ericofon Ray and a great price as well.

I am going to nominate my Autelco Speakerphone that I call an AE 48. If I win, poplar1 gets the prize money as he pointed out the ebaY auction to me.

$25 plus $15 shipping.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8400.0

Terry

Jim Stettler

Great deal for $35.00. I have a weakness for shiney phones.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Babybearjs

terry, thanks for the info. I must admit though... I kinda hate the 187, I had taken my first on completely apart to understand the wiring.... the schematic has so many wire lines, and is so small it took me awhile to put the phone back together. I had to read the schematic from the PDF file and have it zoomed to 400% in order to follow the wire lines... compared to the 87 which is so much easier to rewire when reassembling. Have you ever taken the light bar out of a 86 and put it in a 87? underneath the PC board there are extra wires for the busy lights, if used... I bought out the remaining stock of the surplus centers inventory of AE 86's and 87's 8 years back and was able to upgrade the 87's... made a mistake though and wired the neon lamps under the station buttons instead of the red hold buttons.... oh well, it worked out better that way.... so my stock of 87's are now just like the ITT 576's pretty cool. huh?   
John

zaphod01

Still learning posting etiquette so I apologize if this is a dupliacte post.

Just bought a 11-51 off ebay. 'Buy it now' price was $14.95. Had only been listed for a few minutes (4 views). Could be junk but I wasn't going to pass it up at that price.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=327.msg92645#msg92645

"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

zaphod01

Buy It Now price was actually $15.95 not the $14.95 listed above (got excited).

Here's the ebay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321062288470
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart