southernphoneman's 2 black 500's for $29 on ebaY
4 (14.8%)
DavePEI's AE L652 Steel Wall Phone
6 (22.2%)
tptech302's 1955 Mahogany Brown 500 set found on eBay BIN for $39.95
18 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

AE_Collector

Post your "Finds of the Month" for July 2013 here.

"Finds of the Month" are items that you acquired this month that you are particulatly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find one for your collection or the exceptional "deal" you got on it etc.

Terry

WesternElectricBen

This was actualy from June but here we go..

A 1959 Western Electric P/U from a antique store with all matching parts except line cord. I got it for 22usd. I hooked it up, wired up the ringer again and a light transformer and it works great. Just will need a lamp hood and to be restored.

Link to earlier post: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9740.0

Before and after pictures posted below.

Thanks,
Ben

AE_Collector

Probably the first guy EVER to get his find of the month in before the month has even started! Complete with the price paid and the link to previous discussion. Nice job Ben, makes my job at the end of the month easier!

Terry

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: AE_Collector on June 29, 2013, 05:49:40 PM
Probably the first guy EVER to get his find of the month in before the month has even started! Complete with the price paid and the link to previous discussion. Nice job Ben, makes my job at the end of the month easier!

Terry

Yea, but just remember last month I posted 17 phones...

DavePEI

Hi Everyone:

A nice rare and unexpected find this month. I thought I was purchasing a very nice AE 44 for $50, and it turned out to be an AE 652 - an AE wall phone looking very similar to the AE 44, but containing AE's isolation circuit which allows the phone to be used either local or common battery just by moving one jumper. See OLD-TIME TELEPHONES 2nd Edition by Ralph Meyer, pg 155 - 160  The  induction coil is shown on pg. 145.

The photos below are as received. The dial had been disconnected, and now has been reinstalled, and the dull outer paint has been buffed back to a shine with buffing compound. The phone is working very well whether hooked up local or common battery, and has some of the sweetest audio I have heard on a phone (yes, even better than a 302 or 500 set).

This is a very hard to find phone, and a great addition to the AE44 non-dial local battery set in the museum.

To this point, we have been unable to find another in any one else's collection, making it a truly unique and rare factory phone. We can find AE 44s, AE 60s, but none with the factory isolation circuit for local/common battery. This is NOT your usual and common black AE 44 or 60 metal wall phone.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10907.msg104458#msg104458

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

tptech302

I would like to submit a 1955 Mahogany Brown 500 set found on eBay BIN for $39.95. It was late night and from the pictures hard to tell if it was really a Mahogany Brown or not but took a chance on it based on the cord. All date are 1955, the straight brown handset cord is in great condition, but the line cord has been cut. I haven't taken the time to clean it up yet, and it appears to have had ink spilled on it at some point in time. I'm really unsure of the best way to clean this good, so if anyone has suggestion it would be appreciated.

AE40FAN

Quote from: tptech302 on July 28, 2013, 09:43:20 PM
I would like to submit a 1955 Mahogany Brown 500 set found on eBay BIN for $39.95. It was late night and from the pictures hard to tell if it was really a Mahogany Brown or not but took a chance on it based on the cord. All date are 1955, the straight brown handset cord is in great condition, but the line cord has been cut. I haven't taken the time to clean it up yet, and it appears to have had ink spilled on it at some point in time. I'm really unsure of the best way to clean this good, so if anyone has suggestion it would be appreciated.

tptech awesome find!  I'm envious especially at that price!!

tptech302

Thanks AE40FAN.

The pics the seller had made it hard to see condition, but with a BIN I didn't want to chance on waiting for a reply to questions. I have been working on cleaning it up, and so far it turning out pretty good. It appears to be 2 medium size spots of writing ink on the handset. All date are 3 or 4 of 55. I was sad to see the line cord had been cut, but the handset cord is in great shape.

AE40FAN

Quote from: tptech302 on August 05, 2013, 01:27:16 AM
Thanks AE40FAN.

The pics the seller had made it hard to see condition, but with a BIN I didn't want to chance on waiting for a reply to questions. I have been working on cleaning it up, and so far it turning out pretty good. It appears to be 2 medium size spots of writing ink on the handset. All date are 3 or 4 of 55. I was sad to see the line cord had been cut, but the handset cord is in great shape.

Be sure to post after photos!  Have you tried using Brasso or Flitz to rub out the ink spots?

AE_Collector

Sorry for the delay starting the poll. I was away with only my BlackBerry for internet access which doesn't make it easy to set up the poll.

But...finally. Polling Station is Open.

Only 4 contestants this month, most of us must have been goofing off like I have been doing rather than hunting for phones.

Everyone can vote for two from the list of 4 which will narrow it down to the top find for July 2013.

Terry

AE40FAN

Technically it should be a tie.  I only cast one of my two votes not realizing I had two.  My second vote would have been for Ben's mushroom phone....

WesternElectricBen

AE_Collector

Well, time to put an end to the Find of the Month for Julyb2013. It was a real tight race this month but in the end tptech302's Mahogany 500 just barely beat out WesternElectricBen's 500 P/U. Everyone had great finds this month and shoud be very happy with them!

Congrats to tptech302 and thanks to everyone who participated and who voted.

Terry