News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rose-Beige 500D - real or fakery

Started by Slal, September 22, 2014, 03:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

Your phone looks great in the last picture, with the logo card added. Your plug is about the closest thing to rose beige they made. It's a little more toward purple, but that's about as close as you're going to get. I don't recall the exact name for that color, but it's the only color other than ivory or brown that was made then. Later in the 1960s there were other colors of 283B plugs, but they wouldn't match because rose beige was discontinued by then.

The mounting cord you used is light beige and looks fine. Rose beige mounting cords are hard to find. I haven't seen a lot of UV damage to rose beige other than on the cords where they faded lighter in color. One problem has been hand oil staining on the handset, where it was held. A dark area in the middle. I don't think yours has that problem.

I've seen other rose beige sets, most of them from 1954-55, that had parts that turned different shades from UV or smoke exposure, but I think by 1956 they fixed that problem. Still, it's always a good idea to avoid UV exposure on any phone.
Jonathan

poplar1

The 283B plug pictured is "beige," color code -42. This color was used for JKT station wire, connecting blocks, E1A ringer covers; and apparently less frequently for 283B plug covers and 404B jacks. Beige phones were either -55 Rose beige (1954-1957) or -60 light beige (starting in 1957).

When this phone was new, it probably had an ivory (-4) or brown (-9) plug, or it was directly connected to an ivory or brown 42A connecting block. Plugs at that time matched the color of the jack and station wire, not the phone color.

Only -4 and -9 are shown as available colors for 283B plugs in a 1956 BSP:
(C23.041 issue 1, July, 1956).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Slal

Thanks for references to more docs.  Shame will have to move phone, but is nicest one I have so better take care of it. 

Looks like two options at this point. 

One:
404B jack in brown (-9) or ivory (-4)
283B plug in (same 2 colors)

Two:
Just get 42A connecting block  (same two colors.)

Brief aside as wrap things up.  In re-reading, might have misunderstood Dan's 'milk chocolate' reference.  Color really is difficult for novice. UV damaged white might be described by sellers as cream or ivory.  Even more difficult-- UV damaged aqua -vs- turquoise.  Depending on mfg. date, may have to ask seller what's on back of dial.

Anyway, thanks again for replies, info. & checking it for me. 

--Bruce

poplar1

One clue is to look at the dial. The Rose Beige (-55) dial has white letters and numbers. Light Beige (-60), Ivory (-50), White (-58) all have black letters and numbers.

Also, since Mediterranean Blue (-57), Rose Beige (-55), Brown (-54) and Oxford Gray (-52) were "manufacture discontinued" in 1957, they never had neoprene feet.

The installer carried both ivory and brown JKT wire, connecting blocks, plugs and jacks. Brown was used on dark surfaces such as unpainted wood baseboards. Ivory was used for light surfaces.

poplar1

Quote from: Slal on September 24, 2014, 11:32:51 AM

Brief aside as wrap things up.  In re-reading, might have misunderstood Dan's 'milk chocolate' reference.  Color really is difficult for novice. UV damaged white might be described by sellers as cream or ivory.  Even more difficult-- UV damaged aqua -vs- turquoise.  Depending on mfg. date, may have to ask seller what's on back of dial.

For both white vs. ivory and aqua blue vs. turquoise:
One clue is to unscrew the receiver cap and check the color inside. There were a lot more white and aqua blue phones manufactured than ivory and turquoise, so most of the "turquoise" phones are actually aqua blue. Turquoise was introduced for Princess phones in 1959, but only in 1964 for 500s.