News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Protel 7000 wont dial long distance

Started by indycustombikes, January 28, 2024, 05:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indycustombikes

I am restoring an old GTE for my shop, and I am pretty close but have a few issues. I did the call in reprogram that was offered on another thread and the phone did accept the new programing.

I was successful in following the menu steps to change the rate on local and long distance calls to 25 cents. and all other calls to free, both with unlimited time and full use of keypad.

Here is the dilemma I am hoping you can help with.....

This phone will not make long distance calls, I just get the alarm tone. any 1 + 10 digits

If I try 0 for operator or 0+area and number for operator assisted I just get a busy signal.

211 does not do anything just goes to alarm beeping

Also in my area the local area code is 317 and 765 so we have to input 10 digits for local calls. Some work some don't.

For instance my office 317-539-**** works perfectly and my cell 317-370-**** works perfectly

My friends cell 317-417-**** just gives busy signal (when its known to not be busy)

Also my daughters long distance # in florida will not work, but if I program it to be the one free call number it works perfectly. however if I program my friends cell above it still gets a busy signal....

Any help or incite would be greatly appreciated, I am sure it is in the programming and I have gone through the 7 or so in the manual multiple times with no luck.

Thanks in advance Bill 

G-Man

Quote from: indycustombikes on January 28, 2024, 05:53:27 PMcall in reprogram
Please cite the details of the "call in reprogram" you mentioned. When you arranged for your payphone to be programed, did you provide your area codes and local prefixes?

Was it a service that was provided by a member of this or another list, or one of the payphone suppliers?

A member of this list has in the past provided free "call in programming" for Protel boards. He owns what is perhaps the largest payphone/prison telephone companies in his region and is very knowledgeable.

indycustombikes

Yes, i pulled the info off the other thread, it is the same one you mention. The free instructions on how to program.

No one has specifically helped me, im just wandering my way around the forums trying to find a solution.

G-Man

I believe there may be a miscommunication by your use of "call in programming." Unless you have a pc with Protel ExpressNet software and an appropriate modem, it's doubtful that it has been programmed properly at your location.
You may be referencing Protel field guides and books that myself and others have uploaded to this and other forums over the years. They provide instructions for the field tech to conduct certain diagnostic functions as well program or allowing you to access a few basic operating and housekeeping functions via the keypad.
It's been a long time I've worked and installed them in the field, since I have subsequently scrapped the Protel and Millennium payphones stored in my warehouse but IIRC, while you can set the rates at the payphone, the board needs to make a call to the modem to define its rate table and V&H coordinates to define what a toll or local call is. So is it possible that while you probably accessed your payphone locally, you did not have it originate a call to the programming center for necessary programming?
Once you clarify this, we can point you in the right direction. It is also helpful when you reference a source such as a thread, for you to please provide a link to it so we can tell what you are discussing. In this instance it would have been very helpful to be able to see it for proper context and not search through a bunch of thread trying to guess what which one you are referencing.
If any of this seems plausible, then you may wish to contact payphone guru Jim Engle who may be able to assist you with the remote programming of your instrument. Is he is no longer providing this service to collectors on a gratis basis, then there commercial payphone suppliers who also provide this service at a reasonable cost.
Here is a post made to this forum that Jim made in 2015:
Protel payphones in my opinion were the best smart set ever made. There are a whole host of models. There are cc firmware boards in the 300 series,they are no longer able to be programmed the firmware has been upgraded. The boards you want are the 2000 board, 6000 board, 7000 board or 8000 board. 2000 board and 6000 fits GTE style case. 7000 and 8000 fit western electric case. Protel boards have two batteries,one holds the memory one controls the relay. You can not program a Protel payphone without the software! The most you can do is cause it to default to its default program. This is done by disconnecting the lithium battery by moving the disconnect pin or removing the battery for 30 minutes or so. If the batteries are old or dead the chassis will not work. The relay ni-cad battery charges why you talk so if you have a phone you have to use it at least once a week. Later models have battery charge programs and also have codes you can dial to charge the batteries. 310 is one of the cheapest and troublesome board. But it will work. I still run about 250 payphones in the correction market.

G-Man

Here's another option from payphone.com:

You may also want to verify that the voltage on your line is between 24-48 volts since the internal batteries need to maintain their charge through the line.

indycustombikes

here is what I did and it did take the program remotely as I heard the modems communicating and then it changed the charge rates....... so....

Yesterday I finally got the time to sit down and set up a generic program that should allow most of you to program your Protel 310,2000,4000,7000,6000 and 8000 boards as long ad they are firmware CD or DD firmware older boards with BB software are junk. You will know what you have if it works. First step is go on hook and press program button while holding the button down come off hook wait for a beep in the handset. One beep. Release button. Enter the payphones number at this point on the keypad. Do not dial one. Only area code,exchange and number. You must put in this number 555-555-5555 any other phone number will not work. I have created this test number for collectors and it will work anywhere. Now dial 25 and dial18882131795 then * (star) on the keypad,you should get a single beep, more then on beep is a failure,repeat the step. Now dial *#3 on the keypad (star pound three on the pad) the phone should repeat its phone number back to you which is 555-555-5555 then it will call and connect to my PC and expressnet will give you a download. Hang the phone up. Download could take several minutes. When you have dial tone on the phone again dial *#6 and it should give you the date and time of your download,if it does not,download was not complete of failed. Things that will cause a failure are dead batteries,or batteries not connected. Wrong firmware. Wrong phone number. Bad board. Bad keypad. This may or may not work on a VOIP line it just depends how the phone company has the line set up. Copper is best,land line. Good luck I will try and answer questions when I get time. I am busy running a phone company. Jim

*#6 reveals current date and time of update so it must have accepted this programming. Or am I misunderstanding the "Basics"?

G-Man

I'm sorry but I am unable to understand whether you are referring to yourself or quoting Jim Engle in your reply.
It seems that you are doing both and you are you saying you already have a copy of Expressnet and have created a modem number for collectors to call in on?
Perhaps someone else with a clearer understanding than myself can pick this up.

indycustombikes

Quote from: G-Man on January 29, 2024, 06:27:39 PMI'm sorry but I am unable to understand whether you are referring to yourself or quoting Jim Engle in your reply.
It seems that you are doing both and you are you saying you already have a copy of Expressnet and have created a modem number for collectors to call in on?
Perhaps someone else with a clearer understanding than myself can pick this up.

I followed Jims instructions as posted above. And I dialed in and used his programming..... hopefully that is clear enough to understand me.

AND THEN I VERIFIED it by using *#6 as Jim had instructed above to verify JIMS programming had went in.

G-Man

OK, the reason that it was unclear to me is because you do not differentiate between your own content and who you are quoting or to provide a clear picture of what's going on.
I know reason for this confusion is because of my own feeble-mindedness, but in the future it may prove to be helpful to myself and other old geezers if you do the following:

• Put into proper context what your actions and references have been up to this point.
  • Please don't assume we can read between the lines.
  • This can be accomplished by including links to the posts or websites you are referencing.
  • When quoting a source please use a means of differentiating it by using quotation marks, italicizing, font color, a notation, or by other means.

So if in this instance it would have helped if you had told us initially that you had already  programmed your board by using Jim Engle's Expressnet modem. That would have saved us from a lot of guesswork.

These are only suggestions that I hope you will find helpful as will those who will try to help you find the solution you are seeking. 

Thanks.

indycustombikes

Until now I did not know who Jim was, im new here. I tried desperately to explain it was from another member on another thread.

However

Im glad we got that cleared up, so any idea why long distance no worky?

Fyi brand new batteries, they pass voltage test as fully charged, also 45v on line no problemo there.

It did give me code 02, and 54
02 I believe was a jammed coin and I got that resolved, however the code is stored.

54 is loop reversal, I swapped the tip and ring but nothing changed. However if I read that code correctly it says "with restricted calls"

So how do I clear that code?

I will double check good ground next.

indycustombikes

Update:

Almost at my wits end, I decided to do a hard reset and add another ground line for giggles.

Removed the chassis and pulled batteries. Let it sit for better part of an hour. Then put it all back together and started the initialization process.

Followed Jims instructions and made the number 00 555-555-5555 *, then went on to have it call in for Jims programming, which it did complete.

Verified with *#6

I did nothing else but make a long distance call and it worked.

Then *#64 for fault codes and there were none.

So now before I get into setting charge rates...........

Can I put the actual phone number back in or leave the 555-555-5555?

Next I will try the 877, 888 calls which up till now no worky

Local calls which are 10 digit for 2 area codes and have worked before so should be good

And 0 and 411 calls which up till now havent worked at all

Should I even program a 211 number? And how do I do that?

And then disable 7 digit calls because we dont have any, or just leave it and set charge rate?

I am happy to have long distance so will stop for the night and enjoy winning that battle.

indycustombikes

Update #2

After doing Jims call in programming all calls work as they should.  411, 877, 888, long distance and local 10 digit.
It is 50 cents for local and long distance and I cannot reprogram it to be free or 25 cents...................................... it wont take.

If I reset the stored line number to the actual phone number it goes to $1.00 per local call but will accept my reprogrammed rate to 25 cents but then long distance no longer works as it was before.

So I put back the stored number to 555-555-5555 and it still wont call long distance.

SO in order to get back where I was I have to start over with a hard reset by removing batteries for an hour, then initializing with 555-555-5555 and do call in programming again.... then it all works again but stuck at 50 cents.