News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Canadian Wooden Phone - based on WE300?

Started by tubaman, October 17, 2020, 07:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubaman

This unusual phone is available on eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-CANADA-Northern-Electric-WOOD-ROTARY-DIAL-Phone-RARE/233747234853 ( dead link 05-31-21 )

Not sure if it is an original or homemade. If homemade it's very well done. Appears to be WE 300 based.

"Vintage CANADA Northern Electric WOOD ROTARY DIAL Phone RARE. Condition is "Used"=The Structure is made of wood=The Dial is Metal/Internals are Metal=Possible custom made phone?-Thanks :)...Estate sale Find in Southern California=Very Unique Phone!"

:)

Can't be 100% sure, but I would say it's homemade. It's different for sure.

FABphones

To me, looks like a genuine but painted handset and maybe even unmessed about with insides, but converted into a wooden creation. I wonder if that exterior framework is just slotted over the complete phone.

It would fit right in to a 50's/60's wood panelled room, or 70's brown decor.
But to my eye, yuk, I think even our woodworm wouldn't want to chew on that.  ;D
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

This style was in vogue in the 70ies and early 80ies. My personal guess is that a professional carpenter made it, possibly as a gift, or at the end of apprenticeship as a journeyman's piece.
Similar types could be purchased for serious money right when the phone market was liberalized in Europe. The pics are from the blog on matilo.eu  ;)
A German DFG Lyon and an Italian Telcer.