News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Centenary Neophone (Horseshoe phone)

Started by FABphones, April 17, 2018, 06:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

This Centenary Neophone (Horseshoe phone) came to me for £8.50 as 'not working/no dial tone'
It arrived in good condition. Checked it over to see what the problem was. The handset cord was loose.
I still need to sort out a dial card, but here it is (the white mark is just a reflection from the marble surface):

*Edited to add I'll pop a better pic up when I've sorted out a dial card.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

LarryInMichigan

I got one of those a while back (for a much higher price): forum link.  The styling is interesting, but the quality is quite poor.  I cannot use it because it sounds so bad.

Larry

FABphones

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on April 17, 2018, 07:17:15 AM
I got one of those a while back (for a much higher price): forum link.  The styling is interesting, but the quality is quite poor.  I cannot use it because it sounds so bad.

Larry

Attractive phone, and I'm pleased to add it to my collection, but for me, it's the (too) lightweight handset I don't like. At first I thought that must be the problem why it wasn't working - nothing in it!
Luckily it was just the handset cable, must have been pulled hard at some point, but an easy fix. Original cable though, so pleased about that.
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Not bad looking. You could always add a weight to the handset. Most modern electronid dask phones have a weight in them. You could scavenge a junk handset for one.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

Owain

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on April 17, 2018, 07:17:15 AM

Line conditions in the UK and USA are not identical. It might be happier on a UK line.

Also that style of carbon transmitter is now really rather dated and replacing with an electret equivalent may give an improvement.

tubaman

I thought you might to like to see the wall version of this that I have.
No beauty awards for this phone (but I still love it  ;D).
One (the only?) nice design point is the dip in the top of the case that you can hang the off-hook handset from.
The diagram was neatly folded and tucked under the PCB.
The only dated part I can see is the transmitter which is 1963.
:)