News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Brown Bakelite Dictograph Telephone

Started by Doug Rose, December 03, 2016, 10:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This is very hard to photograph, it is brown Bakelite. This was a mess, but cleaned up well. It has a 4 prong on it and it works!! Is Dictograph and Dictophone the same company?.....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

I researched this subject a long time ago,  Dictograph and Dictaphone were different companies. I think they  both  were dictating machine equipment . One of them was Edison owned and the other was Bell owned. I was surprised to find the Bell connection.
Jim S.

BTW Dictating machines were early recording machines, The early machines used Edison style wax cylinders. The would record on "blank" cylinders To erase, you would "shave" the cylinder to remove  the previous recording. Each cylinder could be used several times.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

I have one just like that Doug though I don't recall the light and knob. Mine is broken (Bakelite smashed) so it is in a box awaiting repair one day...maybe.....hopefully.....anyone else want a project.......unlikely to be damaged by the USPS!

Terry

Doug Rose

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 03, 2016, 12:19:39 PM
I have one just like that Doug though I don't recall the light and knob. Mine is broken (Bakelite smashed) so it is in a box awaiting repair one day...maybe.....hopefully.....anyone else want a project.......unlikely to be damaged by the USPS!

Terry
Terry....no light...a knob and what looks like a light is a button....very different looking.

Jim....thanks for the info....Doug
Kidphone