News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Newest addition to the collection.

Started by recrum, November 23, 2011, 11:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recrum

These are the lastest to the collection that just arrived in the mail today ($105 for all three).  All three seem to be in great condition other than being extremely dirty.  The 183 does have some yellowing so I'll try the peroxide trick and see what happens.  Any advise to get paint off bakelite though.  Looks like someone painted the room and didn't bother to take the phone off the wall, as the type 50 has some paint around the base.

liteamorn

Wow, 3 SOLID classics!! Good haul there!

AE_Collector

And I already have all the AE Codes off of them for my AE data base. Thanks Recrum!

The 183's are one of my favorite of the newer AE's...pretty cool. They don't make em like that any more.....

You only have 10 more colors to find them (183's) in now (11 total including black).

Terry

recrum

I was quite please with this find.  I love the look of the type 50.  While i know it's pretty much impossible I am going to keep an eye out the the wall plate AE offered for that phone.

Wallphone

I always liked the design of the AE 50 and they don't seem to be commanding very high prices on eBay. Don't forget that to get the housing off you have to remove the hookswitch plunger nut along with the two screws in the front.
Doug Pav

GG

Aha, so you're the guy who scored that batch!  Congratulations, that was a good haul.  BTW, your AE 40 is one of the early ones that had no handgrip in the receiver cradle.  Those are becoming relatively scarce now. 

I take it you know the secret trick for getting the dial number card retainer rings off those older AE dials, and the other secret trick for getting the plastic dial fingerwheel off the mounting spider on the 183?   

BTW, for the latter (plastic ones mounted on spiders): bend the end of the paper clip slightly and stick it behind the little prong on the spider, and then rotate the paper clip to press the prong inward toward the center when rotating the fingerwheel to remove it.  Merely trying to "press down" as with a WE fingerwheel, will damage the prong on the spider. 

recrum

Dealing with the Kellogg dials for many years, I did already know the trick to getting the number card holder off of the type 40.  But thank you for the hint with the 183.  I've been finishing up restoring a chrome banded type 40 so I haven't had a chance to really delve into the 183 but a quick look over i admit was stumped with the dial wheel.  So you help is much appreciated.  I do have another.  Any advice on what's safe to remove paint without harming bakelite.  It appears someone painted the wall without removing the type 50 from the wall first.

GG

Yeah, AE's spider is just a little different than WE's.  The prong/tab on WE's spider presses "straight down" to release the fingerwheel, but on AE's it presses "in toward the center of the dial" to release the fingerwheel, which requires using a tool with an end that's bent correctly to get it in the right position.   Yet even so, AE Practices' instructions say to press down, which is not only incorrect but a good way to break the spider (I have no idea why they didn't provide the correct instructions).