News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Metal Kellogg Red Bar 1000 eBay 320558397379

Started by Doug Rose, July 19, 2010, 01:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I won this metal Red bar last week. I wanted the easi clean chrome finger wheel for a project and felt $30 was a fair price for it. What I didn't bargain for was a really nice Kellogg Red bar under layers of black paint and I mean layers. Once it was removed, I shined the metal  up and was very happy with the finished product. Bakelite handset was also painted as was the red bar and the red bar was especially hard to get the paint off. I got it to work, but I can't get it to ring. I jumped the yellow to the green like I would with a 302. Tried yellow to red, no go. What am I missing....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Doug,

It looks like you got another great phone bargain.  I think that the vast majority of red bar phones came with frequency ringers.  What kind of ringer does yours have?

Larry

HarrySmith

darn! Nice phone! For $30 I would say you got a bargain! What happened to the cutout fingerwheel?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 19, 2010, 01:12:33 PM
Doug,

It looks like you got another great phone bargain.  I think that the vast majority of red bar phones came with frequency ringers.  What kind of ringer does yours have?

Larry
Hey Larry....I don't have a clue. I have included a picture of the inside.

Harry.....I needed the chrome easi-clean for another project

Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Doug,

I think that you might actually have a straight-line ringer, which makes the phone an even better deal.  You have the red wire from the ringer connected to the wrong terminal though.  Move it over to the next terminal which has "R1" above it.

Larry

Doug Rose

RING!!!!!! Larry you are the man....many thanks......Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

I believe your ringer is wired to ring on the green terminal.  You might try to take the jumper at the plug in capacitor and slide it so both screws are shorted. This will add more capacitance. These capacitors are often bad though. I also think the ringer is wired through the hook switch.so clean the contacts. If the housing on the telephone is not tight enough, the switch plunger might not travel far enough to put the ringer in the circuit
Robby

Dennis Markham

Very nice phone, Doug.  I was looking closely at the handset cord...looks like it's getting brittle there under the hood.  Getting any static?

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on July 19, 2010, 04:09:21 PM
Very nice phone, Doug.  I was looking closely at the handset cord...looks like it's getting brittle there under the hood.  Getting any static?
Dennis....I saw that and didn't dare touch the handset cord at all inside, just cleaned it on the outside. Crystal clear conversation and thanks to Larry....it rings!!!...Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on July 19, 2010, 04:09:21 PM
Well,  Dennis...you were right. I used it in my phone room and the static started to appear. There was also corrosion inside the handset as well, so I took it a different direction. I had a nice brown Kellogg handset with a white cloth cord. I stripped the finger wheel down to brass and this is it.....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 19, 2010, 01:14:49 PM
darn! Nice phone! For $30 I would say you got a bargain! What happened to the cutout fingerwheel?
He's what happened to the easi-clean finger wheel. I needed it to finish off my Stromberg Carlson version of the WE A1. It is one of my favorite phones.....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

Both very nice phones, Doug.  The Red Bar looks good with that brown handset.  Very unusual.

Doug Rose

thanks Dennis the SC is a keeper, the Kellogg will find its way to eBay....Doug
Kidphone