"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pink 500P/U

Started by HarrySmith, July 24, 2010, 05:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

This is the Pink 500 P/U I just got from eBay. I have a bunch of pics here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/HarrySmith1957/PinkMushroomPhone# ( dead link 03-11-21 )
I will post more as I get along with restoration.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

Harry:

Nice collection of pictures. I like the T shirt of the "18 year old with 32 years of experience".
Jorge

HarrySmith

OOPS, I did not mean to share everything with you guys :o
That was from my 50th, three years ago ::)
How about the phone? That was the purpose of the post ;)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

Harry:
I am looking at my crystal ball right now ( ;D ;D ;D ) and see lots of sanding ahead. The base is in excellent condition and am glad there are no rusty feet. Feel free to take the base apart and scrub everything with a small brush and lots of soap.

Of course, no water on the receiver and transmitter. Clean those with alcohol and Q tips.

PS: My crystal ball also shows that I may have a pink cord in my garage to replace the faded one you have. I can take a picture if interested.
Jorge

HarrySmith

Yes, unfortunately looks like more sanding for me :(
I was surprised at how clean the base was, except for the smudge on the "P" it looks brand new, one of the few I have seen with plastic feet that were not rusted ;D
I would be interested in a replacment cord, I was going to try dying it but replacing will be much easier :)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

Harry:

I found one from 1966. I emailed you a little while ago.
Jorge

McHeath

It's a nice phone, and should look great after some elbow grease.  You might have to go down to 400 grit, but the phone is worth it I think. 

Dan

I have one similar to this and it has a "faded" numbers plate and an orange cover like yours. I don't sand. Will sanding on the numbers plate make it darker? I was wondering if sanding the entire phone you have here would blend the colors and even them out.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

HarrySmith

Thanks for the replies guys! Yes, it will be some work but should be worth it! I already sanded a pink 500, the very first phone I got. Sanding removes the discolored outer layer of plastic and reveals the original color underneath. Since the color is all the way through it will be fine. The number ring is the same, the numbers are all the way through as well so sanding will return it to it's former glory! I think I have some before & after pictures of the first one I sanded at home, I will try and post them. Also you can check the thread on the blue 500 I am working on to see the difference after sanding.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

cihensley@aol.com

If you stop at 400-grit the color may be right but you will never get the phone truly shiny. If the underlying plastic was the same color originally (most likely), the dial bezel and the shell will sand to the same color. The numbers on the dial go entirely through the plastic, so sanding will not harm them.

Chuck

HarrySmith

400 is where I started with the last Pink one & with the Blue one I am working on now. I go to 600, 800, 1000 & finish with 1200. Then Novus 3 & 2 and finish with a nice coat of wax! Really smooth and shiny after that!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

Harry:

Here are some pictures of the cord we talked about. Before, after wash, after F21. It looks better in person than with the fluorescent lights in my laundry room. I reversed the coils to give it a tighter look.
Jorge

HarrySmith

Thanks Jorge ;D
Looks great ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"