News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The only telephone I bought home from Japan

Started by mienaichizu, August 05, 2010, 11:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mienaichizu

......... and it is not an NEC, its a French PTT telephone with "mother in law" listening earpiece
It's almost in mint shape. From the early 80's, dated 1982

gpo706

Its a SOCOTEL S63 "Society of Telephone Manufacturers" - rough translation.

63 is 1963 when it was launched, these are hefty sets, I've one exactly the same.

http://foreztel.pagesperso-orange.fr/TELEPHONE/1963%202000/index.htm
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

bingster

One has to wonder how often that extra receiver actually saw use.  And what is it about the French that their phones usually had one?  Are they nosier than the rest of us?
= DARRIN =

gpo706

Bingster, it's obviously so the French mother-in-law could overhear when the errrant husband phoned home with his excuses!

Apart from that explanation I have no idea why it seems it was standard kit on this era of French phones!

The GPO and other suppliers could add what they called a "watch reciever" to standard desk set for your trusty girl Friday though.

They are nice gizmo's got one for my 706 black (well had to be for the 706 black as it is black and only matches my 706 black), its a straight two wire lugged cord onto your receiver terminals.

I'd recommend these SOCOTELS to anyone happens by them, they are well engineered and quite hefty, be a good deskset / conversation piece, and apart from my (usua)l boring grey, I think the blue and red sets look stunning.

gpo706

Oh and the dials on these SOCOTEL's positively purrs like a panther having its tummy tickled.

bingster

I poked around on the ebay.fr site several months ago checking out the telephones, and was just as impressed by their looks.  They're really quite beautiful.
= DARRIN =

gpo706

Bingster, I tried on ebay France for a blue one, looked stunning.

mienaichizu

thanks for that info gpo706

Quote from: gpo706 on August 05, 2010, 12:21:15 PM
Its a SOCOTEL S63 "Society of Telephone Manufacturers" - rough translation.
63 is 1963 when it was launched, these are hefty sets, I've one exactly the same.

http://foreztel.pagesperso-orange.fr/TELEPHONE/1963%202000/index.htm