HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

I have purchased stuff with slight damage just to get one for my collection.  I figure I will never afford to pay the big bucks to get one, so I'll buy one with a corner crack or break and then do my best to fix it up and make it presentable.  I call it a "poor man's" version.  Until a nicer one comes along.

I have a decent Ivory 354 that had some corner damage on the bottom.  With the assistance of Mark Scola the breaks were repaired.  It's not a bad looking phone now.  Here are a couple photos.  I've never even cleaned it or polished it.  I'm going to get to it..... :)  I'd like to replace the coiled cord with a nice straight cord.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

deedubya3800

What kinds of numbers are we talking about here? $100? $250? $500?  $6.1 million? ???

bingster

I haven't paid attention to what they've gone for lately, but I paid $149 for mine at the end of 2005.  It's perfect, though. 
= DARRIN =

HarrySmith

I did not save it but if I recall correctly the last one I bid on went for over $500.00 :o
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

deedubya3800

Are we talking 302s or 354s? Seems like the 354 would be rarer, but I wouldn't know for sure.

HarrySmith

Yes, 354. I am not sure if they are rarer but I have seen more 302's than 354's. Also if I recall correctly the one that went for over $500.00 was NOS in box :o
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

That one I posted yesterday...with the break at the bottom I bought along with a black one.  The pair sold for $90 plus shipping from a member of the phone club.  I'm sure I refurbished and re-sold the black one so I got it for nothing, except my time.

deedubya3800

Do they all have clear dials, or are there other colors as well?

bingster

The 354 was available only in black and ivory.  Black had a black painted dial, while ivory had a clear plastic dial.
= DARRIN =

deedubya3800

That's what I thought, but I have seen pics of a couple different plastic, not painted, ivory 302s with silver dials. Any thoughts about those?

bingster

The 302's 5J dial was supposedly only issued with clear plastic fingerwheels.  Even the rare prewar plastic 302 had a clear fingerwheel.  However, like you said, several have been found with bright metal dials, as have some 5J equipped Continental 202s.  The vast majority have clear fingerwheels, though.
= DARRIN =

deedubya3800

Seems like every new answer brings a new question. I read somewhere that the ivory handset for the 354 is molded of thermoplastic and is considerably lighter than its Bakelite counterpart. Does the 302 use the same handset?

And also, I can't seem to find a picture of an ivory 302 with the handset off the hook. Are the plungers made in ivory too, or are they clear too?