News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO 232 with George VI Royal Crest

Started by FABphones, December 14, 2022, 04:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

I must have seven or eight 162 and 232 telephones on the shelves in my little workshop and another eight (each not quite the same as it's neighbour) on display in the Phone Den.
An all time favourite design of telephone, I cannot resist rescuing these.
( note to self, resist rescuing these...  :-\  )

This one appears to have taken quite the whack. A chip out of the Spitcup and the body is cracked on both sides. Also missing it's dialcard and retaining clip (I have spares).

What attracted this particular phone to me is the Crested Directory Drawer. These harder to find crests on the metal mirror sliding tray send the price of even the tattiest phone rocketing up - and is something I have wanted to add to the collection for quite some years. As I understand it these were issued in limited number for the 1937 coronation of George VI.

The phone has it's correct No 10 dial which matches the code on the base; 232L (the model of phone followed by L, indicating a dial with letters), and the cords seem to be in good condition, although I will remove the later PVC line cord and replace it with an original plaited cord (from the spare cords trunk). I have an original black Bakelite wall terminal too which should finish it off nicely.

Here are the 'before' images.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

I like these as well and I'm sure you do it more then justice in restoring in CJ.

HarrySmith

Nice catch. It is always exciting to finally get one you have wanted. Looking forward to your restoration. Lots of pictures of the entire process please ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Thanks guys.

The first snow we have had in years arrived today and the little workshop is a tad chilly so the tidy up will progress slowly until the weather warms up.
(  Santa has been asked to pop a double glazed workshop window into his pressie sack this year.  ;D  )

I hope to take some additional photos this weekend and will post them asap.  :)

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on December 14, 2022, 01:44:07 PM...The first snow we have had in years arrived today and the little workshop is a tad chilly so the tidy up will progress slowly until the weather warms up.
(  Santa has been asked to pop a double glazed workshop window into his pressie sack this year.  ;D  )...
Maybe he'll bring you a wood burning Parlor stove too, sounds like you need one.
I have two radiator type heaters in mine but, I would rather have a wood burner to save on electric bill.

FABphones

The 232 was opened today. Unfortunately it was an oh no moment. Mr Renovator had added an after market bell. Intended for the 'I want my phone to ring' market, it isn't something I like to find in a phone and unfortunately I have found several. It of course came with the proverbial loose screw.

To attach the bell the base has been drilled. This together with the cracked shell, which is unsalvageable, I have decided to move the Crested Drawer into another 232.

This 232 has not reached it's end of life. I have Phoenix plans for this telephone but we have to wait for the warmer weather to begin work.
:)

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on December 21, 2022, 10:05:55 AM...Mr Renovator had added an after market bell...

Ah Gees! I hate it when some Nimrod does this. No respect for history or the phone if ya ask me.