News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interesting 3 slot Panel Paystation-AE Type 101

Started by MADhouseTelephone, January 24, 2023, 08:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MADhouseTelephone

Picked up this one last year and had a lot of fun cleaning it up and installing it in the MADhouse.

The AE Type 101 Panel Paystation is an LPB 89-55 hidden behind a stainless steel panel with some modifications to the coin slots and wiring.

The first pictures show its condition when I got it, and later after cleanup, restoration, and installation. I also found a description in the 1976 GTE Paystation manual.
ADavid, MADhouse Telephone

RDPipes

I believe I've seen these a time or two but, never knew what it looked like inside.
Strange to say the least, reckon that wanted to use up all the old parts.

Stan S

What's unique about that payphone is the sheet metal assembly on the top that changes the direction the coins face before they enter the coin track.

paul-f

Find more details in Alan's great article in the January 2023 issue of TCI's Singing Wires.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

Northern Electric made a similar panel phone with midified NE-233H inside
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

Is that a hose or duct of some sort on the top behind the phone? Also it looks like there is something in the back of the coin vault or is that part of the coin return?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

MADhouseTelephone

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 25, 2023, 12:16:10 PMIs that a hose or duct of some sort on the top behind the phone? Also it looks like there is something in the back of the coin vault or is that part of the coin return?

On top is the cable to the front cover carrying dial, hookswitch and handset circuits.
In the 'before restoration" picture, you are seeing the vault door lock laying loose inside the vault.

FABphones

Quote from: Stan S on January 24, 2023, 09:25:51 PMWhat's unique about that payphone is the sheet metal assembly on the top that changes the direction the coins face before they enter the coin track.

I spotted that too. Neat trick.

Quote from: MADhouseTelephone on January 24, 2023, 08:55:34 PMPicked up this one last year and had a lot of fun cleaning it up...

Nice find. Would you add a photo of the rear of the panel door.
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

MADhouseTelephone

Here is a picture of the inside of the stainless steel panel. The hook switch is the same as used on the AE type 83 space saver.