Main Menu

Lamp Phone Atrocities!

Started by Greg G., May 06, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

BDM

SACRILEGE! For us that cherish the telephone in all it's shapes sizes colors and sounds.................................................
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

TelePlay

Did they really have to put the RS toggle switch there?

And, it looks like this was a mouse hole punched upgrade, before the enlightening conversion.

Two people have bid it up to $6.49, started at $0.99, after 5 days in a 7 day auction.

Vintage-Green-Rotary-Bell-System-Phone-by-Western-Electric-Working-Lamp-Phone

UPDATE - Sold with 6 bids for $23.88
Terry

TelePlay

Currently on eBay, with 6 days left of a 7 day action, at an asked opening bid of $80 plus $12 shipping is this very nice, gold lamp someone converted to a telephone. Seller claims it is "From the estate of a long retired phone man , a nice but by no means perfect GOLD telephone. Please check out all photos in listing. Sold AS-IS. Handset and base have had holes drilled apparently for a lock of some sort or display mounting." so the seller must have picked it up after the conversion.

What's interesting is the converter seems to have put a ringer (with one gong, maybe?) into the phone and swapped out the power cord for a Silver Satin line cord. The black plug on the top of the handset was a nice touch matches the bezel and the handset cord. Great condition, the gold that is, but I wonder what's on the end of the line cord, a power or modular plug?

HarrySmith

That has been listed before, I remember looking at it a while ago. I thought about purchasing it just because the gold is so nice but I had the same reservation you did, I wonder whats inside? I like the plungers too.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on September 27, 2014, 05:22:10 PM
That has been listed before, I remember looking at it a while ago. I thought about purchasing it just because the gold is so nice but I had the same reservation you did, I wonder whats inside? I like the plungers too.

It didn't sell at $80 plus $12 shipping so the seller re-listed it at $99.96 plus $12 shipping. That should do it, right?

RARE-BRIGHT-GOLD-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-PHONE-500-C-D-TELEPHONE

TelePlay

Can't beat this one as a true atrocity . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351203524243

This Lamp Phone is also the subject of a Special Auction Contest, a contest just for fun, of course.

TelePlay

Just when we, or at least I, thought we had seen all variants, this one pops up on eBay.

ANTIQUE TELEPHONE LAMP

Listed at $9.95 plus $11.85 shipping in a 7 day auction.

WesternElectricBen

When ugly and terrible lives in perfect harmony... lol

Ben

JimH

I think we should counter with making telephones out of lamps. ;D
Jim H.

TelePlay

And this entry comes at the expense of what appeared to be a very nice 5302 . . .  :-\

BIN for just $75.00, including a brand new bulb.

Seller described it as "This is a vintage western electric telephone that has been turned into a lamp.  This is a really cool piece that is perfect for an office or den!  The lamp works as it should and does come with a brand new bulb!!! The insides of the phone are still in the phone so if someone wanted they may be able to get the phone to work as well, however I am not positive.  The phone does need a cleaning but I learned a long time ago if you don't know what you are doing don't touch it, so you will get it exactly as it looks in the picture. "

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Western-Electric-Telephone-Lamp-Works-/111521858515

Contempra

I'm definitely not a buyer for this kind of atrocity....

JimH

Is this clever, or what?
Jim H.

Phonesrfun

Hmmm.  Definitely interesting.  I have never seen one quite like it.
-Bill G

TelePlay

Seems no phone of any age is exempt from a "lite" conversion to a lamp phone.

<Automatic Electric 80E made from 1975 through about 1986>

Seller listed it as "GTE TELEPHONE W/LIGHT *PUSH BUTTON*" and said in the description, "THIS HAS NOT BEEN TESTED OR USED FOR OVER 10 YEARS! THIS HAD WORKED LAST TIME IT WAS USED."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171553466017

BIN for $14.99 plus $8.95 for wait for the auction to end and maybe get it for $8.99, for parts?