News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What happens now??

Started by Stan the Man, July 22, 2016, 08:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan the Man

OK I spent a lot of money putting my phone back together like it should be.. Very satisfying having it that way, by the way..
Now my wife wants to drop the POTS line for VOIP.. And it looks like AT&T is helping her do it.. I haven't even installed my phone in my man cave yet.. what to do now?? Rotary won't work on VOIP, will it??

Stan

Stan S

Hey Stan
No problem.
Just buy one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018NWQPK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pair it to the Blue Tooth in your smart phone and you're back 'on the air'.

See it work here:
http://tinyurl.com/glmawzs

(Yes, a small plug for my auction.)

Stan S. (The other Stan).

trainman

Since i have a cell phone, i only have local service on my pots line. I even changed the long distance to the ten cent a minute plan. I keep my pots line to play with my old phones, and to order takeout. If i need a long distance call, i use my cell phone.

Stan S

Or, talk your wife into getting Vonage. The ATAs they supply work great with rotary dialing.
(Could have suggested that to begin with but then I wouldn't have had an excuse to plug my auction.)
Stan S.

unbeldi

Quote from: Stan the Man on July 22, 2016, 08:42:59 PM
OK I spent a lot of money putting my phone back together like it should be.. Very satisfying having it that way, by the way..
Now my wife wants to drop the POTS line for VOIP.. And it looks like AT&T is helping her do it.. I haven't even installed my phone in my man cave yet.. what to do now?? Rotary won't work on VOIP, will it??

Stan

Let's face it ... the traditional POTS network is very obsolescent and the cost and technical advantages of VoIP are overwhelming.
Despite all the progress, as well as hype, in VoIP,  the last few feet—it was "the last mile" previously—hasn't changed much in residential telephone service.  Rarely does one find VoIP in this realm in residential service; it's been limited so far to mostly business use where VoIP phones, that have no analog connections other than the handset, now dominate.

In residential VoIP service, demarkation comes in form of an analog telephone adapter (ATA) in the vast majority. The loop provided by an ATA is, with some limitations, pretty much the same as a traditional central office line.   However, pulse dialing is often not supported.

If you search this forum, your will find many suggestions and solutions for living with VoIP while collecting (old telephones).

oldguy

Will a panasonic 308 or 616 solve the problem for multiple phones?
Gary

mentalstampede

Quote from: oldguy on July 22, 2016, 11:06:43 PM
Will a panasonic 308 or 616 solve the problem for multiple phones?

It certainly should. The Panasonic systems convert pulse to time on the fly, so that should overcome the lack of pulse support on certain ATAs.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Stan the Man

StanS,.. That would be perfect, but, my phone will be inside a metal building, so cell service is non-existent.. I was hoping I could just adapt something to the voip line.. To get costs down, my better half(yes I had to say it) bundled all our stuff.. I asked the "installer guy" if voip supported pulse dialing.. No,.. just as I thought.. I threw a mini fit, and was able to keep the POTS line for now.. Wife isn't happy about paying $45/month so my "old phone" will work.. Besides, the AT&T guy says they are about to phase out the POTS lines.. I will end up running a phone line out to the cave.. I just need something to make the pulse dialing work..

Stan

Stan S

Stan
I think maybe some of the answers to your original question have gone just a little off the topic.

I suggest you try and talk your wife into Vonage. I've been using it for years for long distance calls and as a test line for the rotary payphones I build.

I have a Verizon line WITHOUT a long distance carrier on it. The Verizon line is used basically for Internet access. From that point on all calls are Vonage.

Many years ago I fought with Verizon to get a line WITHOUT DIAL TONE. I only wanted DSL on it. Of course all the calls from that point on would be super cheap Vonage. Anyway Verizon refuse to give me a line without dial tone (a dry line). It's possible your local telco does supply a line like that today.

The heating in the building I live in is controlled over the Internet from the midwest (I live in New York City) using a 'dry line' supplied by Verizon. It's possible that they only supply that for commercial purposes and not residential. I don't know. If you can get a 'dry line' for Internet access and Vonage for all you calls it would give you the best of all worlds very cheaply including your rotary payphone.

Stan S.

poplar1

Cell service: You could install the Xlink BTTN inside the house, and leave the cell phone next to the BTTN. Then run a wire from the BTTN output jack to the metal building.

VOIP: Install a Dialgizmo or Hybrid KSU such as Panasonic KX-T 61610. Either will convert rotary dial pulses to Touch-Tone.

Cheap solution: Connect a second phone, one with a Touch-Tone dial, along with the rotary phone, in the metal building.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jim Stettler

I think the best choice is to use a panasonic KSU. It will solve the dialing issue and can be used as a tester and "toy". Also they are pretty affordable.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Stan S

Maybe I'm missing something.
1-Stan wants to use ONE ROTARY PAYPHONE in his 'man cave'.
2-His wife wants to get rid of very expensive phone service and use Voip.

Why would he have to install anything?
If he's happy using the payphone as an extension to his smart phone he can get an Xlink.

If he wants to use the rotary payphone like all the other phones in his house he can just get Vonage service and plug the output of the Vonage ATA into his house wiring.

Why would he need a Dial Gizmo or any type of KSU?

Stan S.

poplar1

He said there is no cell service inside the metal bldg. So, unless he mounts the BTTN on the outside of the building, he would need to install a wire between the house and the metal bldg., whether using cell, AT&T DSL, AT&T Uverse, or Vonage.

With bundled pricing, it may be more expensive to order services a LA carte. Comcast, for example, charges less for triple play internet, phone, and TV than internet + TV only. Also, if the AT&T order is complete, there are probably early termination charges.

Part of the AT&T mergers with BellSouth included a requirement that the new company offer dry DSL.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Stan S

Stan
I didn't see your last post.
Congratulations!
You seem to have the WORST of all worlds.
However, maybe not.

One quick question. How strong is your cell service right outside the metal building?
Stan S.

trainman

Or get VOIP and get this.

Www.dialgizmo.com