"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 355: Gray 34-A10 2 Piece Paystation - Ended 11-26-18

Started by TelePlay, November 13, 2018, 08:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

$755

With no pictures of the inside it will be buying the proverbial pig in a poke.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

compubit

A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

kka2446

Hello,
I'm the eBay Seller of the Gray 34-10 Pay Phone. I have very temporarily pulled the auction for my phone. Monday 11/19 I may have a key ( a 21B ) that will open the top...Here's the story. I've tried a known good 29A, 29S and a 10G with no success. None will fit in the keyway. It was suggested I try a 21B, which I will Monday and hopefully I'll have photos of the inside of my Gray 34-A10. I want to as completely open and honest about the phone.

Thanks for your understanding,
John

TelePlay

Quote from: kka2446 on November 17, 2018, 04:57:06 PM
I'm the eBay Seller of the Gray 34-10 Pay Phone. I have very temporarily pulled the auction for my phone.

Thanks for the honest notice.

I will set this auction contest aside and restart it when the phone is relisted.

Please send me a PM with the eBay auction link as soon as it is re-listed so I can then reset the contest.

tallguy58

OK then, I guess we'll all reconvene here on Tuesday providing the key works
Cheers........Bill

RotarDad

I believe many of the early locks have a more narrow keyway.  I had a couple older 10G locks, one marked "Long Security Lock Company" that wouln't accept a standard reproduction 10G key.  Often the reproduction keys need to be thinned slightly to fit.   Of course that additionally weakens an already weak brass key, so proceed carefully.  I'm not familiar with 29-S lock to comment there.
Paul

Fabius

Notice the coin return as shown in the Gray catalog for a 34 A 10 paystation.

Received an email with this copy of the catalog listing.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Partyline4

Pulling an auction like that is a good way to make previous bidders gun shy....Hope it doesn't hurt the value too much....Might want to wait a little while before putting it back on. Just some advice......

HarrySmith

Quote from: Fabius on November 17, 2018, 10:05:57 PM
Notice the coin return as shown in the Gray catalog for a 34 A 10 paystation.

Received an email with this copy of the catalog listing.

I would be interested in seeing that catalog.  Is it online? Do you know where it came from or who?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Fabius

Possibly the catalog is in the TCI library? Where you able to open the link to the copy of the catalog page showing what a 34 A 10 looks like? The page copy was sent to me by a forum member.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

HarrySmith

Yes, I checked out the link, that's what got me interested, lots of good info. Does someone here have this catalog?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Payphone installer

I have all the Gray catalogs when I have time I will post pictures of both 34A10 and 34A8. If memory sereves me correctly the 34A10 is a post pay set with a post pay relay. That means it cannot collect coins by way of the relay. They only fall directly in the box on deposit. All the relay does is detect the coin passing threw the hopper. This phone was used at first on a Strowger switch that is why it has a stand up coin return and the Strowger branding. The only reason a coin ever returned on this phone is if the chute
was jammed.