News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

JAPY Typewriter

Started by FABphones, October 20, 2019, 01:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

This weekend I took myself off to a Brocante. I have been looking for a black metal typewriter for a while now to sit on my desk next to a Laurent telephone, and wanted one about the same age. I found this. Not a speck of dust on or in it, it's owner appears to have taken good care of it (just a few letters need a tweak upright), everything moves like it was made yesterday, no dings, paintwork good.

I didn't have a clue what I had actually bought so I had to do a bit of research. It is a JAPY 121, made in Paris, France. This one dates from approximately 1942 (they were made between 1937-1946) so age 75+ it sits nicely alongside the Laurent.

I was asked, will I use it. A chorus of 'NO' filled the room. But actually, thinking about it, yes. It will give a realistic enough font for typing numbers onto dialcard copies.

It cost €18 and came with two sets of original spool ribbons (one set still boxed), and its original dust cover.

Photos below of the JAPY factory in Paris (can anyone name or date that car?), brochures for this model, and the JAPY:

Now I just have to find a dialcard centre for that Laurent....
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

andre_janew

I notice that the keyboard is a bit different than what I have seen as the letters are arranged differently.  Would that be due to age or country of manufacture or both?

FABphones

Quote from: andre_janew on October 20, 2019, 04:56:52 PM
I notice that the keyboard is a bit different than what I have seen as the letters are arranged differently.  Would that be due to age or country of manufacture or both?

AZERTY is the French standard. In the UK we have QUERTY QWERTY.

Opps, a typo  ;D   thanks d/p.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Dan/Panther

In the United States we have QWERTY.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

andre_janew

19and41

Good looking typewriter.  They make a nice display.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke