News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Howard Miller 613-108 Clock

Started by Doug Rose, June 21, 2020, 09:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Yesterday was the First Yard sale in our area and Jan found a great clock for $25. A Howard Miller Sandringham 613-108 Keywound Wall Clock in like new condition.

This is an expensive clock!

Seller said he never used the Westminster Chimes. The screws were very hard to get off and there looked like factory masking tape sealing the back.

That being said the clock keeps perfect time, but no chimes. You hear the gears swirling, but no chimes. Manual said there was a rubber band that held the rods, but I did not see one. It had the pad on the chimes.

Anyone have any idea on what I am missing.....many thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

the chime lock bar is up, the gears swirl, no chimes..Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Does  the tab going into a the gear box ride on a gear to activate the chimes?
If that is how it works, then is the tab bent up to disable the chime?
Just a guess,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jim Stettler on June 21, 2020, 11:51:26 AM
Does  the tab going into a the gear box ride on a gear to activate the chimes?
If that is how it works, then is the tab bent up to disable the chime?
Just a guess,
Jim
when I slide it over it picks up three hammers and it does not lock in....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Babybearjs

did you go to the howard miller website to see if the operating instructions were online? I'd do that first, then if I can't find the answer, contact a clock repairman for a quote, if available. I had a Hanover clock that was my grandmothers and took it to a repair shop for evaluation. the clock was worth about $500.00 and I was told to leave it in As-Is condition.... (the clock face needed repainting) anyway, I would take it to someone who knows something about the clock to see if they can show you all the tricks to getting it to work right.
John

Doug Rose

This was a very frustrating project. I could not find a manual and the local Clock Repair shops would not return my calls or emails. Got nothing on the Howard Miller website and the Clock Doctor wanted a credit card before I could describe my issues....with the clock that is!  8).

I found a youtube video of a guy repairing a broken 613-108 chimes worked fine on his. So when he took out the movement oiled everything, I thought I would try it. I thought clock works, can't be oil. I oiled all the gears posts and after days of running I heard a chime, then louder as the days went by. Hourly chimes started to work!. It just needed oil!

Now it chimes on the quarter hour, half hour and you get the full show on the hour. It keeps perfect time. Janet love the dark wood, so it is now in the kitchen.

This was the most rewarding project! a $1000 clock for $25...Doug
Kidphone