News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

eBay sellers asking higher and higher prices for garb

Started by PilotAndy1994, January 31, 2021, 12:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PilotAndy1994

It may be hypocritical for me to complain about listing phones at high prices ( I do so on eBay, and take decent offers..) , but I only do this on rarer phones versus the common run of the mill junk everyone has and can't get rid of. I'm seeing people asking $100 for a basic 554. Don't even get me started on the plastic garbage phones from China and Australia. Used to get some killer deals on eBay. Too many people using eBay as a price guide!

_end rant_

Jack Ryan

Quote from: PilotAndy1994 on January 31, 2021, 12:10:36 AM
I'm seeing people asking $100 for a basic 554.

Here's a hint - don't pay it.

Don't even get me started on the plastic garbage phones from China and Australia.

I presume this means anything that it not your personal preference.

You must be one of those "advanced collectors".

Jack

Desert Phone Guy

There is an old saying. "one man's junk is another man's treasure".

This saying holds true for us phone collectors also... I have been on ebay since 1998.  Prices go up and then they go down.. Trends happen where some things are hot for a while and then they die off.

Personally, I have put some things on ebay, just prior to going to the Salvation Army to donate thinking  "wonder if anyone would want this"... so  I plop it up on ebay.  I have been surprised more than once.  Things that I pass  others  seek out for their collections.

Granted I don't start out at ridiculous prices. but even if I get $5 for something that was going to be donated.. that is a win for me.

Everyone collects something, but not always the same thing.  I wouldn't pay 50 cents for a box of PEZ dispensers, for example... a lot of people have really advanced collections..

So, look at it as entertainment... and maybe you might have something that is worthless to you that someone else views as a treasure.

Steve

markosjal

There are some that are worthy of the prices asked however there are some that are way out of line. I think sometimes I see a "Barn Fresh" looking 500 at a high price because the seller saw one selling at that price but does not consider that the on that sold was clean and from 1957 not filthy and from 1983 . The seller has no idea of the difference in the 1957 vs 1983 model.

Just let the overpriced ones sit and rot
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

PilotAndy1994

Quote from: Jack Ryan on January 31, 2021, 03:04:20 AM
Here's a hint - don't pay it.

I presume this means anything that it not your personal preference.

You must be one of those "advanced collectors".

Jack

You must be one of those sellers.

PilotAndy1994

Quote from: markosjal on January 31, 2021, 01:50:00 PM
There are some that are worthy of the prices asked however there are some that are way out of line. I think sometimes I see a "Barn Fresh" looking 500 at a high price because the seller saw one selling at that price but does not consider that the on that sold was clean and from 1957 not filthy and from 1983 . The seller has no idea of the difference in the 1957 vs 1983 model.

Just let the overpriced ones sit and rot

True, but with eBay's good till canceled, they could be rotting away for years...Wasting valuable real estate on eBay...Irks me good.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: PilotAndy1994 on January 31, 2021, 10:27:27 PM
You must be one of those sellers.

I don't sell at all but I also don't call the produce of entire countries garbage. On what basis was that carefully considered judgement made?

Jack

19and41

A person can want any kind of price that they want to sell.  If they're satisfied with having a presence on Ebay while accomplishing little of value, so be it.  For me a high price reads "not for sale".  I take the message and move on.  It saves heartaches.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke