News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Wood Type 252E

Started by wds, January 18, 2022, 07:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I bought this a while back, and was hoping someone could help me identify the magneto.  This is a very early Western Electric built phone, as you can tell by the wood style.  The wood is marked with the usual Western Electric engravings, but only two patent dates.  The receiver arm is identical to the one in a Type 124 wood phone.  The magneto is puzzling - is this an early Bell Telephone magneto?  Was it made by someone other than Western Electric?  I also checked the holes in the bottom of the box to see if maybe this was a replacement magneto, but there are no extra holes, and the magneto appears to be original.
Dave

MagnetoDave

Do you still have this phone? Looks like similar parts to my Type 232E, including the 5-bar.

tom.adams1

It is a Western Electric No. 217 Bridging Open Circuit magneto, same as in my WE 119 set.

tom.adams1

Type 217 Magneto info and photos of my WE 119 set.

wds

yes MagnetoDave, I still have the phone.   The 252E has different wood profiles than the type 119.  Also the magnets seem to be space a little farther apart.  Patent date on the 252E is 1894.  What is it on the 119?
Dave

tom.adams1