News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Two 302 NE and the other ????

Started by Contempra, December 31, 2022, 10:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contempra

Hi you all. I just bought these three phones tonight at (10:00 p.m.) Only one that I don't know but the only thing that is listed is "No.5" on the first phone from the left. ...all three for $80 Canadian. No idea if they work but they need to be cleaned and lubricated. The photo is from the seller. so if the admins can crop it...

FABphones

Image cropped and attached (better to attach photos rather than externally link).

Good find. Your collection is building up nicely.
:)

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

MMikeJBenN27

That number 5 phone is a Uniphone, the instrument NE sold to independent non-Bell operating companies.  If it is a number 5, and not a number 1, then it is a stand, not a complete phone.  It was the modern replacement for the old desk stand, (candle stick), so it has to be connected to a subset.  The subset is where the ringer, capacitor, and coils are.  The only things inside of the phone are the line switch and some terminals.  The other two might be 252s rather than 302s.  The 252 is empty inside, just like the number 5 uniphone.

Mike

markosjal

I have the same NE on Far left. The two on the right might also be 307s used for external battery
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Contempra

Quote from: FABphones on December 31, 2022, 11:02:37 PMImage cropped and attached (better to attach photos rather than externally link).

Good find. Your collection is building up nicely.
:)

Yes indeed . Thank you, FABphone

Contempra

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on January 01, 2023, 05:39:51 AMThat number 5 phone is a Uniphone, the instrument NE sold to independent non-Bell operating companies.  If it is a number 5, and not a number 1, then it is a stand, not a complete phone.  It was the modern replacement for the old desk stand, (candle stick), so it has to be connected to a subset.  The subset is where the ringer, capacitor, and coils are.  The only things inside of the phone are the line switch and some terminals.  The other two might be 252s rather than 302s.  The 252 is empty inside, just like the number 5 uniphone.

Mike

Hi Mike , the first one is a frankenphone with the 6A dial and a ringer inside , the second one , all is fron 1955 shell and base plate too , the third all is from 1955 excepted the line cord and handset cord.. But all ( the three phones ) have their ringer inside and the 2 last ones have the 5H dial

markosjal

those NE uniphones were often frankenphones from wat I have seen, I think this "independent" telcos frankenphones them over the years
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Contempra

Hello everyone . the third phone in my photo at the top has a 5H dial, could any of you please inform me why the dial is so hard to turn to the right, but it returns very quickly to the left with no problem (its position initial ) ?

I cleaned everything, lubricated what I think are the right places, but it's still the same! Thank you for your valuable advice that makes me love this forum and encourages me in my passion.

RDPipes

Quote from: Contempra on January 03, 2023, 09:36:47 AMHello everyone . the third phone in my photo at the top has a 5H dial, could any of you please inform me why the dial is so hard to turn to the right, but it returns very quickly to the left with no problem (its position initial ) ?

I cleaned everything, lubricated what I think are the right places, but it's still the same! Thank you for your valuable advice that makes me love this forum and encourages me in my passion.

Sounds like it really needs to be taken apart and cleaned thoroughly and oiled.
You could send it to Steve Hilsz and he'll get it running like new for $6.

TelePlay

Quote from: Contempra on January 03, 2023, 09:36:47 AMHello everyone . the third phone in my photo at the top has a 5H dial, could any of you please inform me why the dial is so hard to turn to the right, but it returns very quickly to the left with no problem (its position initial ) ?

Sounds like a frozen governor clutch. The clutch spring becomes frozen to the governor flywheel shaft.

Here is a helpful topic that I posted about that and how to check for it being frozen. I also have a frozen 5H clutch I keep for an example.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5305.msg260007#msg260007

"If the spring clutch is stuck to the governor shaft, the governor will turn when dialing a number and will be doing 2 things: 1) slowing down the turning of the finger wheel to 10 PPS; and 2) putting great wear on the governor brakes if the person dialing the number tries to force the finger wheel to turn at a faster rate."

The problem with a frozen clutch is that the governor wings are digging into the raceway when you try to dial a number making it harder to dial than for the wings to act normally when the finger wheel is released, the wings trail as they should rather than dig into the raceway.

As a hobby in which I want to learn stuff, I do it myself. Most send their dials to Steve H.

I know you have seen this topic before, probably forgot about it, but here is the topic summary.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5305.msg260042#msg260042

Always glad to help members evaluate and then do stuff with their phones during restoration.

poplar1

The governor should not be engaged when turning the dial clockwise. Insert a screwdriver to block the governor. Then try to turn the finger wheel. If the finger wheel will not turn, then yes, you have a problem with the governor (or clutch?).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on January 03, 2023, 12:25:40 PMInsert a screwdriver to block the governor. Then try to turn the finger wheel.

That may also free the clutch but not remove the reason for it having frozen to the shaft.

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on January 03, 2023, 12:55:22 PMThat may also free the clutch but not remove the reason for it having frozen to the shaft.

Right. It is just to confirm that it is a frozen clutch. Didn't see your post before replying. Thanks for your thorough post

poplar1

So how do you repair a frozen clutch?

TelePlay

QuoteSo how do you repair a frozen clutch?

Good question, and why I haven't fixed mine 5H yet.

I think taking the gear train apart to gain full access to the clutch, soaking the clutch spring in penetrating oil, let it sit for a day, hold the governor shaft gear, cover the clutch spring with a cloth and carefully wiggle it in the direction in which it should not engage the shaft. If it doesn't break free, add more penetrating oil, let it sit for another day and try again.

After it's free, remove all the penetrating oil with lacquer thinner, dry the part and apply a small amount of good clock/dial oil to the clutch to help it work as a clutch.

I've never taken the governor apart from the top gear train plate, never needed to. I don't know if anyone has. This is as far as I've taken a dial apart, leaving the two press fit shafts on the top gear train plate. Those two shafts shown below are held to the plate with press fit parts I never wanted to risk taking apart.

The above image is from this disassembly topic: 

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23867.0

My 5H is the first and only dial I have had that had a frozen clutch - doesn't happen often.

I have a feeling it's old oil, and most likely over oiled, that over time collected dust and turned to mud freezing the clutch to the shaft. Sitting, not using the dial for a few decades, would allow the excess oil to harden. I've seen very hard oil/dirt mixtures in gear teeth that can only be removed with a toothpick (solvent and a brush would not get that hardened oil out of the gear teeth valleys).

I doubt it's corrosion because of the brass parts.

Just my first guess, open to revision and other options (from those long time phone guys who have done this in the past).