News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Am I diminishing solicitation calls?

Started by Robert Gift, February 06, 2023, 11:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Gift

When a solicitation call comes in, I pick up as quickly as possible but make no sound.
The calling computer disconnects in exactly 12 seconds.

Have I fooled the system that my number is disconnected or no longer in service?   
It will not call back or sell my "non-working" number to other solicitors.

If one does not pick up, the system detects the ringing for the 12-seconds and learns it has called a working number.   Will call back later when someone is home.

That is what I do.   Maybe totally wrong but I get few solicitation calls.   
Solicitation calls bother me because I may be sleeping after driving blood to a hospital all night. 
When the telephone rings, I must look to see if a hospital is calling.

Any ideas?

Thank you
I'd take an educated guess but am unqualified.
In paramediclass, doctor asked me signs of Alzheimers.  "I forget.", I answered.

Lighted Princess® telephones are our favorites!

To ensure an emergent transport call, I need only:
- take first sip of beer when eating pizza
- start shampooing in the shower
- pull bed covers over and get warm and cozy
- begin my OCD oil change.  (Remove oil plug to drain overnight.)

Contempra

If you talk about marketing , (What seems to be the case in your post) , unfortunately , there is nothing to do, it is allowed by law unless you realize that it is fraud. Then you have to report to the police I think. . Personally, when I see a number (I have the 'name and number' display) that I don't know, I don't answer. Obviously for hospitals, police or fire, ok, otherwise my ringtones are closed. as sometimes I rest in the afternoon, well, I close my two phones

LarryInMichigan

With my VOIP service, I have call blocking set to ignore incoming calls which are suspected to be from scammers and send all other calls from numbers which are not on my contact list to voicemail.  I occasionally get a message from someone whose call I wanted to get, and I then add them to my contact list, but otherwise, I now get 10-30 fewer calls per week that I used to get from criminals in India and local businesses who have managed to never hear about the government "do not call" registry.  It saves me plenty of grief.

Larry

Robert Gift

Quote from: Contempra on February 06, 2023, 12:49:03 PM... (I have the 'name and number' display) that I don't know, I don't answer. ...
I pick up the call but make no sound.
If not answered, the systemay assume no one home now.   It calls back at a differentime different day when someone may then be home.
In paramediclass, doctor asked me signs of Alzheimers.  "I forget.", I answered.

Robert Gift

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 06, 2023, 04:41:18 PMWith my VOIP service, I have call blocking set to ignore incoming calls which are suspected to be from scammers and send all other calls from numbers which are not on my contact list to voicemail.  I occasionally get a message from someone whose call I wanted to get, and I then add them to my contact list,...
Larry
Thank you.
Sometimes hospital personnel call for an emergency transport from an unrecognized number, so I must see if it matches prefixes of other numbers from which they have called.