News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this a normal hook switch pile for the 80's 565--never saw this before

Started by allnumbedup, February 15, 2023, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allnumbedup

I just opened a minty beige rotary WE 565HKM-s from Feb 3, 1980 and found this set up. Is this the normal hook switch and pile from that era? I have not seen this before.  I see no indication what the S is for otherwise. JC
Analog Phones for a Digital World

HarrySmith

The hook switch seems pretty normal but I have not been in one of those in a while. Is that round thing with 2 blue wires a buzzer? That is something I do not recall seeing in there.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 15, 2023, 10:23:58 AMThe hook switch seems pretty normal but I have not been in one of those in a while. Is that round thing with 2 blue wires a buzzer? That is something I do not recall seeing in there.
That certainly is Harry!

allnumbedup

Thanks for updating me on hook switch changes in the eighties. I have found the blue buzzers noted fairly commonly on multi-lines from the 70's while earlier sets seem to have Edwards type square buzzers mounted where the second gong would be on the ringer assembly. In my opinion they both sound awful.

I may have found the reason for the "S" designation. There is a resistor? across two of the main contacts for the key set connections. Don't know why but haven't seen before either so I took a picture.

HowardPgh

The component in the picture looks like a diode. May have been used to restrict dialing on that phone or one of its lines.
Howard

HowardPgh

Would S be for Speakerphone? Does the dial have an extra set of shunt contacts?
Howard

poplar1

From TCI Library:
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

allnumbedup

I am getting better at finding information in TCI's BSP's but usually not successful so I appreciate the help. thank you! According to this BSP, I think the diode is an option to activate the hold button as a message waiting lamp.