News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Using multiple old phones as an intercom system

Started by kirkblackberry, March 06, 2023, 04:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirkblackberry

I have bought an old Truck repair center that has shop space and living space. It will be our retirement property.
I have 4 big boxes of phones, from the 1930's to the 1960s and I would like to take the most interesting ones and set up an internal phone network for our new space. I would like to be able to dial any phone from any other phone, and be able to make the instrument receiving the call actually ring. Sort of an internal intercom? Connecting to the outside world in now a requirement.
I have seen a few posts on how to crack this problem but most list equipment that has been discontinued. I am wondering what equipment people have had luck with? I would prefer to have the phone connected via wireless if possible, since running copper back to the living space would add a lot of complexity. But I am willing to do it if it adds simplicity and reliability. Raspberry PI with 3cx? Chinese PABX? I am open to ideas! And I am very appreciative of any help and experiences you all could share! Connecting to the outside world in now a requirement.

Thank You!

HarrySmith

I would go for a Panasonic PBX. Easy to set up & use. Can be connected to the outside line also. It would require running wires to the phone jacks though. I am not familiar with the "new" computer systems like the Pi Rasberry that many here use so I will let them remark on that.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Welcome to the forum, I agree with Harry, a wired PBX system of some sort is your best bet. I would not fear 'discontinued' systems.
I would be surprised if the property does not already have phone cabling in place?

I personally enjoy tinkering with the 'key' type systems, many older phones can be modified to work on a key system intercom line.

If you do have some old phone wiring in that place post some pictures.
Cheers
--Stephen

dsk

Hi, and welcome.
I would also recommend a PBX that understands rotary phones (and if needed touch tone phones)
I have a working PAX at home made in 1946 (but designed in 191x) that works, nothing I will suggest to look after, The very best may be a Panasonic KXT-616, one of the last that accepted rotary phones.  (No letters after KXT in the "name")
Then you have 16 lines.  You may even connect it to a VOIP ATA or an mobile adapter.

FABphones

Hi and welcome to CRPF.

As above, a Panasonic KX-T (PBX) is worth consideration.

Select a model and have a read up on their features via one of the manuals on these links:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16290
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20887

You will need the controller (wall unit) together with the phone for that model to program the features.
Screenshot below of the version I have (Panasonic KX-TDA30).

——

We love pictures and would like to see what you have in your boxes.
You can start a new thread in 'My Telephone Collection':
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=68.0
 :)

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

kirkblackberry

Thank you for all the ideas, I am definitely soaking all this up like a sponge, a funny side note when I bought my house which was built in 1956 there were Rumors in the neighborhood that it had been used has the local betting establishment, when we did some renovations we found this old pbx.

kirkblackberry

Sadly in the new building there is no existing copper phone system. But before I insulate and put walls up will be a great time to run some lines.

kirkblackberry

So Panasonic PBx ebay! The PI and 3cx software look interesting, but too many adapters to make it work! That would be like $100 per phone.

kirkblackberry

HarrySmith

Quote from: kirkblackberry on March 07, 2023, 08:24:17 AMSadly in the new building there is no existing copper phone system. But before I insulate and put walls up will be a great time to run some lines.

great idea. I would run a home run to each room. Probably also a good idea to run some CAT cable for future use.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

kirkblackberry

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 07, 2023, 01:58:04 PMgreat idea. I would run a home run to each room. Probably also a good idea to run some CAT cable for future use.
Thats also a good idea. I just have to choose a location for my network closet!
I have a pretty empty canvas over there, currently.

poplar1

Here are two KX-T616s or KX-T61610. This supports 6 lines + 16 stations (phones). Single line rotary or Touch-Tone sets work without any modification. You might want at least one proprietary Panasonic multi-line for programming, but the default programming allows all 6 lines to work and single line phones to call out by dialing 9 first.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295497088706 ---- $38.68 buy-it-now

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195608058143 ----  $68.00 buy-it-now
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

kirkblackberry

Quote from: poplar1 on March 07, 2023, 03:09:26 PMHere are two KX-T616s or KX-T61610. This supports 6 lines + 16 stations (phones). Single line rotary or Touch-Tone sets work without any modification. You might want at least one proprietary Panasonic multi-line for programming, but the default programming allows all 6 lines to work and single line phones to call out by dialing 9 first.

Thank you so much I purchased one of those units now I will have to figure out which multi line phone I need, it might be fun playing with the programming side but I have read that I need some sort of specific phone to do that?

TelePlay

Quote from: kirkblackberry on March 07, 2023, 05:28:05 PM. . . now I will have to figure out which multi line phone I need, it might be fun playing with the programming side but I have read that I need some sort of specific phone to do that?

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16290.0