"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hair Product with Peroxide, Worked Great on Turquoise Phone

Started by 11furby11, April 07, 2011, 10:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11furby11

Hi Ken!!
Thank you!! The old phone you fixed is working like a charm.  Lots of nice comments from friends on it, and I always have a nice story to tell about the details of having it restored to function.

I read alot of information on peroxiding phones that other people from the forum had posted.  They were all so helpful, but the dilemma in Canada is purchasing professional hair products without a hair dressing licence.  I was going to buy a hair colouring kit, and steal the peroxide creme out of it, so it was just lucky that this product was sold by itself.  

I will be interested in the product that ED and Brinybay try.  I am guessing the results should come out the same.  It works best in direct sunlight (I had it in the house, in front of the patio door).  I spun the phone around once and a while to, I think it activates better and faster in the heat and light.  I think you have to make sure there is no bleach in the product either, because bleach will cause yellowing.

Also, when I did reapply the "White Magic" to the second phone, because I didn't apply it evenly to start with, it streaked.  The update is that reapplying it to thoses areas worked, and it ended up with an even colour in the end.

Greg G.

Quote from: 11furby11 on April 18, 2011, 10:49:17 AM

I read alot of information on peroxiding phones that other people from the forum had posted.  They were all so helpful, but the dilemma in Canada is purchasing professional hair products without a hair dressing licence.

Are you sure that's always the case?  There are beauty supply stores here that will only sell to licensed beauticians, but there are also places that are open to the public.  Sally's Beauty Supply is the one where I and others get peroxide.  Not sure if they're in Canada, but there may be something similar.

Quote from: 11furby11 on April 18, 2011, 10:49:17 AM

I will be interested in the product that ED and Brinybay try.  I am guessing the results should come out the same.  

I'm using a home-mixed formula called "retro-bright".  It's a mixture of peroxide and Oxiclean.  It's been proven effective on white phones, but does NOT do well on colored phones, hence my interest in what you found.  It took 4 treatments at full strength 40% (no water mixed in) to get a badly yellowed white phone back to it's original white, or very close to it.

Here's a link to the retro-bright process.  I did not use the specific name brands.  I used Oxiclean and regular cornstarch that I had on hand.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1146.0
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub1953 on April 18, 2011, 08:37:25 AM
Sherry,
           :o That is a great job there ;D  I wish I had found out about this product before I started all that sanding.
stub

Speaking of sanding....how is the 880 doing? If you've given up on it, want a TC 95 panel in exchange for it?

Terry

LarryInMichigan

I stopped at a Sally Beauty Supply store yesterday and bought a bottle of "40 Volume Creme Developer".  The sales clerk was a bit confused when she asked me why I wanted it, and I said to remove discoloration from plastic.  I experimented with it a bit today, and I am really amazed at the results.  I smeared some of the product onto a couple of very badly discolored phones and left them outside for a few hours.  I didn't know if I should cover them, so I left them uncovered.  When i went back to check, most of the product had evaporated, but where the product remained, the color of the plastic had changed dramatically.  Below is a picture of a badly discolored beige Ericofon shell showing blotches where the discoloration was removed.  The real trick is going to be in keeping the surfaces properly covered with product.

BTW, I had expected the stuff to be smelly and nasty, but it has no smell and does not feel caustic.  They also had "50 volume", but the 40 was the highest strength that one is allowed to buy without a professional license.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Thanks for the info Larry.  I think someone used an old fish tank and then covered it with plastic wrap, like Saranwrap to keep the moisture inside.  Perhaps that would help.  Did you use it full strength?

LarryInMichigan

I placed three phone shells into a clear plastic bag and put them back outside.  I don't have a fish tank, so I will have to think of ways to improvise.  I did use the product full-strength.  Diluting it with water would make it runny.  It is designed to be a creme so that it will stay in one's hair.

Larry

Ed D

Larry,

Did you add anything to this, or use it straight out of the bottle?

Ed

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Dennis Markham on May 12, 2011, 04:39:13 PM
Thanks for the info Larry.  I think someone used an old fish tank and then covered it with plastic wrap, like Saranwrap to keep the moisture inside.  Perhaps that would help.  Did you use it full strength?

That would be fishlover. He used to post pictures of his beautiful phone collection many months ago. Last I heard he joined a merchant ship in a worldwide fishing expedition. They departed from Texas I believe.

Jorge

GG

Cheap fish tank substitute, with a bonus:

Grocery store bakeries e.g. Safeway, often sell rectangular cakes that are just about phone-sized, in plastic boxes that consist of black bases with clear rectangular plastic domes over the top. 

After you eat the cake, peel the labels off the box, scrub it out with dish soap & water, and you have a perfect enclosure for a phone housing that's slathered in peroxide goop.  You'll need another one for the handset & caps, and another for the dial numberplate and misc small parts such as the handgrip cover from the housing. 

Turned upside down, these also make decent "project tubs" where you can put all the parts of something you're working on, and stack 'em on your workbench. 

The bonus of course, is that you can indulge your taste for bakery goods before converting the box to other uses. 

If you want to score a bunch of these all at once and baked goods aren't your thing, you could try asking the person in charge of the bakery department if you could arrange to directly buy a dozen or however-many of those boxes.  Or you could go looking online for "baked goods packaging" or some such, and see about getting them from the manufacturer or wholesale outlet. 

finlover

Quote from: JorgeAmely on May 12, 2011, 11:51:22 PM
Quote from: Dennis Markham on May 12, 2011, 04:39:13 PM
That would be fishlover. He used to post pictures of his beautiful phone collection many months ago. Last I heard he joined a merchant ship in a worldwide fishing expedition. They departed from Texas I believe.

Yo ho ho and a bottle of peroxide!  I might try that creme developer.  In my experience, RetroBrite tends to go all watery in a couple of weeks.  Plus I wouldn't have to break out the blender.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Ed D on May 12, 2011, 11:34:15 PM
Larry,

Did you add anything to this, or use it straight out of the bottle?

Ed

Straight out of the bottle.  You might want to keep the bottle in a brown paper bag in case anyone is looking :D

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on May 12, 2011, 04:33:15 PM

BTW, I had expected the stuff to be smelly and nasty, but it has no smell and does not feel caustic.  They also had "50 volume", but the 40 was the highest strength that one is allowed to buy without a professional license.

Larry

It will burn a bit if you get it on you, not like sulferic acid, but you should be careful with it.  I use rubber gloves when handling it.  I was also surprised when I first made a batch of Retrobrite, I expected it to be nasty smelling, but it was odorless.  I remember my Mom and sisters used to use some sort of foul-smelling concoction in their hair, I thought it was peroxide, maybe it was something else.  But that was in the mid-60s, so maybe whatever it was is obsolete now.

Saran Wrap over the tub I put them in works, but SW is hard to handle, so I used 2-gallon zip lock bags.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dewdrop

I gave this a try about two weeks ago. In my opinion it really helps in removing the fading on aqua colored phone parts.

Salon Care 30 Volume came from Sally Beauty Supply

• Cleaned the phone parts
• Used gloves
• Poured 30 Volume in a shallow container and started applying it to the parts using a small paintbrush
• After coating parts I placed them in clear salad tubs, placed lids on. Placed the tubs in the direct sun for about two hours. I checked on them about every 30 minutes.
• Brought them back in to rinse off with warm water, used a little Dawn, rinsed again and let dry

The plastic salad tubs can become warped from the sun's heat, but the phone parts did just fine.

Has anyone else used this product?
Debbie

TelePlay

No luck so far finding White Magik or an equivalent but did run across this very good tutorial on Peroxides, both liquid and creme, as hair care products.

http://tinyurl.com/6596o66

Defines Volume measurements well.

cihensley@aol.com

Dewdrop:

Yes, I have used both V30 and V40 for cords and the embossed areas on 500s and their handsets. After thoroughly cleaning the cord with the jsowers method, I place it in a zip-loc bag and pour in peroxide creme to cover. I apply the creme to the embossed areas of the shell and handset and cover loosely with foil or plastic wrap. I put all of the foregoing under a heat lamp (to warm, not heat) for about 5 hours. I then shut off the heat lamp and let everything stand overnight. I still micro-mesh sand the balance of the handset and shell because I have found it better at fully restoring the original color, and it removes scratches and nicks that the peroxide doesn't. The brand you showed in one of your photos I obtain from Amazon.

Chuck