News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gray Pay station, help with IDing

Started by MagicMo, April 27, 2013, 06:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

Please let me know if you know anything about this phone by looking at it. It is for sale for $450, just curious if it is worth it.
Thanks
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

kleenax

Hey Mo;

totally reproduction. Modern housing, has a British GPO-type receiver (earpiece). Uses a transmitter mount off of a common hotel phone.

If someone simply wanted to have a "look-a-like" old-style phone, then I guess it would be right for that person.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

AE_Collector

In an effort to try to learn more about old vs new 3 slots I make the following abservations hoping for additonal comments:

To me it is an older rather than a newer housing. The lead coin track (isn't it?), wooden terminal strip, double coil relay, open coin return and the slope on the front upper edge of the coin vault area.

The dial should have some sort of surround rather than just a dial attached to the upper housing. As for the receiver I have never been able to ID any reciever if it doesn't have a name on the receiver cap. They all look the same to me!

Terry

kleenax

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 27, 2013, 09:25:33 PM
In an effort to try to learn more about old vs new 3 slots I make the following abservations hoping for additonal comments:

To me it is an older rather than a newer housing. The lead coin track (isn't it?), wooden terminal strip and the slope on the front upper edge of the coin vault area.

The dial should have some sort of surround rather than just a dial attached to the upper housing. As for the receiver I have never been able to ID any reciever if it doesn't have a name on the receiver cap. They all look the same to me!

Terry

You are correct Terry, I actually mis-spoke, and should have said "made-up" instead of repro. This example does have an older bottom housing with the open coin return and Gray riveted escutcheon. This would have originally come on an AE type 60 payphone I believe. I have a catalog back at my shop, but not here. The coin chute is indeed lead, but notice that it has the AE cross-hatch pattern cast into it, along with an attached bell & gong. AE manufactured and used these exact coin chutes right up into the 1970's.

The dial "plopped" onto the upper housing is to mimic the first dial 3-slots that were made from the 50A's that didn't have a dial pocket on the upper housing. All you have to do is to plug the 3 holes that are used to hold that dial shroud on and do and it looks pretty good, except it was originally done on the early cast-iron tops, not stamped sheet steel.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Mr. Bones

It is several orders of magnitude cooler than the payphone my kindly neighbour gave me last night, to be sure! :D On the plus side, at least I saved $450.00!

I love the instruction card! :o Anybody know of a source online for a high-resolution pic of this? I'd like to make one up for me house.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

G-Man

In addition to the valid points as enumerated by Ray, whenever I see a totally fabricated, unauthentic instruction card installed as is mounted on this phone, I'm automatically put on alert that it is probably a counterfeit. Especially when it has a Bell graphic on an instrument intended for the independent trade.

It generally indicates it was purchased from Phoneco or someone else has conjured-up another rare "collectable."

MagicMo

Thanks for the info. I came across it when I was researching Gray Paystations.
I appreciate It was for sale on CL.
Thanks
Mo
Practice Kindness :)