"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1953 WE Ivory Two Tone

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, April 26, 2017, 07:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I finally scored one, an authentic Two Tone! ;D

As I was browsing Etsy for the first time in months, I saw an early black 500 with a lighter colored housing. Figuring it was just a custom built phone, I checked it out anyway. I got excited with I saw "50A" stamped in the bottom... :D

Right now, I only have bad screenshots of the listing pictures, but it looks like it's in great shape! Other than the handset cord, this one looks like it might be dates-matching! It seems like one of the earlier factory-built two-tones, dated 5-53.

I got it for $32 plus shipping.

www.etsy.com/listing/525326225
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dennis Markham

Nice score, Christian.  Looks like a later, replacement handset cord.  It will be fun to see what the housing date is when you get the phone.

~Dennis

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dennis Markham on April 26, 2017, 07:58:24 PM
Nice score, Christian.  Looks like a later, replacement handset cord.  It will be fun to see what the housing date is when you get the phone.

~Dennis
Thanks Dennis!!

It sure looks all original to me (other than the handset cord, of course). I guess I'll have to wait and see...

I wonder how many 'factory original' two tones there are compared to ones modified 'in the field'? I haven't seen too many of the factory types!
Christian Petterson

Pvt-telco

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on April 26, 2017, 08:18:28 PM
Thanks Dennis!!

It sure looks all original to me (other than the handset cord, of course). I guess I'll have to wait and see...

I wonder how many 'factory original' two tones there are compared to ones modified 'in the field'? I haven't seen too many of the factory types!

Nice find and nice telephone, and I think Dennis is right about the cord it looks to be a hardwired cord from the 70's :)

WEBellSystemChristian

Yep, it looks like it. It's a little irritating, as this adds another phone to the list needing a straight handset cord (I'm up to about 15 phones needing one now! >:( )

I also noticed a bonus in the pictures, an early 283B plug! ;D
Christian Petterson

JimHyak

Christian
Nice score on the "50A" marked phone. I have never seen one marked, only the red "53A"

I have some nice 1953 two tones, but they not marked with the -xxA stamp. I was of the belief that some were marked and some not, even from the factory, since the full color were not available until later. Is there a definitive answer to that question? A lot of the -xx stamps look a bit more crude than the rest of the markings.
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks Jim!

I think all of the factory built Two Tones (presumably only in 1953) had 50A, 53A, etc, and ones modified in the field upon request (1954-1956) weren't marked, or were only marked in the installer felt it was necessary.

However, I think bases were also marked if an older base was being mated to newer colored plastics. My painted Oxford Gray from 1956 was attached to a 1954 base with -52, presumably followed by the date the plastics were installed. Since it was very crude (obviously hand written with a paint brush) I removed the hand written paint, and installed the base on another phone (ironically, one of my homemade two tones).
Christian Petterson

poplar1

What is the date on the housing?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.