"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Converted WE 1515 Project

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, September 12, 2014, 03:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dave F on September 21, 2014, 11:20:22 PM
I'm impressed with the amount of work you are doing to return this phone to its former glory as a real 1515.  For complete accuracy, you will also need to replace the 0 dial button, as that dial button on an original 1515 would have said OPERATOR, not OPER.  Have fun!!

DF
Thanks! The full "Operator" buttons seem to be almost as hard to find as 10 button pads! Even if I did find one on a parts phone, it would be pretty hard to make it look as new-looking as the rest of the buttons (older TT buttons seemed to age very quickly).
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dave F

Because you have to disassemble the dial to replace any of the buttons, it would be just as easy to swap ALL the buttons from an "Operator" dial.  Then, they would all share the same age.  12-button dials with "Operator" are not really that difficult to find.  Keep an eye out on eBay, at flea markets and thrift shops, and it probably won't take too long to find one.  The fun part is taking apart the dial and keeping track of the springs and switch actuators so you are able to put it back together again.  I have swapped parts on many TT dials, and it isn't as tough to do as it might appear to be.

DF

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dave F on September 22, 2014, 12:37:58 PM
The fun part is taking apart the dial and keeping track of the springs and switch actuators so you are able to put it back together again.  I have swapped parts on many TT dials, and it isn't as tough to do as it might appear to be.

DF
Yeah, my dad and I didn't think that putting that TT pad back together was as hard as it actually was. We had to disassemble and reassemble it 3 times before we had everything put together properly. I'll keep my eye out for early 12 button pads to swap buttons.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

I noticed that this phone has a push mechanism to the 2 line switch. What would this have been used for?
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

The push function could be setup for signaling, but not much more, if I understand correctly. 

Ben

Dave F

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on September 22, 2014, 08:16:18 PM
I noticed that this phone has a push mechanism to the 2 line switch. What would this have been used for?
The push feature built into that switch is available for any special needs (such as signaling, as Ben has noted).  I have a 510 set with no dial.  The push feature was used to start an external automatic dialer to summon a hotel shuttle bus.  In fact, on that set, the push feature was the only part of the switch being used.  The 2-line turn key portion is not used at all.

DF

paul-f

A quick look at the wiring diagram shows that the pushbutton contact is a simple momentary switch with the contacts wired to two conductors in the mounting cord.

In addition to the uses Ben and Dave pointed out, any application that involves a simple contact closure that falls within the current handling range of the contacts and wiring can be implemented.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

WEBellSystemChristian

This project is coming pretty close to being completed, except for clear coating the faceplate and peroxiding the plastics. The pound and star holes have been filled with Bondo, with a piece of credit card-type plastic glued to the back of the faceplate, covering the two holes. This provides some protection to the body putty, in the event that something hits that area, causing the body putty to cave in. It was then sanded even with the rest of the faceplate (I had to get rid of the texturization that came on the later faceplates).

The front was painted with Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric Cover in Charcoal color (this stuff is amazingly durable on plastic) that perfectly matches the Western Electric early faceplate dark grey.

Not much left to do now!!! ;D
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Here it is all painted!
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

This pretty much concludes tonight's work. I have to let the paint completely dry before any clear coat can be applied.
Christian Petterson

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: tallguy58 on September 24, 2014, 08:47:32 AM
Wow!

Nice job!
Thank you!
The handset and cord are much more yellow than they look in the picture, but a peroxide bath should take care of that!
Christian Petterson

Dave F

Man, you don't mess around!  It would probably take me 6 months of fiddling to complete a project like that.  It looks GREAT!!

DF

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Dave F on September 24, 2014, 12:49:43 PM
Man, you don't mess around!  It would probably take me 6 months of fiddling to complete a project like that.  It looks GREAT!!

DF

lol... Me too.. the 500 P/U project I started months ago? It's still going on, very slowly. I expect to have it done in the next 3 months. :) 

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on September 24, 2014, 04:54:04 PM
Quote from: Dave F on September 24, 2014, 12:49:43 PM

DF

lol... Me too.. the 500 P/U project I started months ago? It's still going on, very slowly. I expect to have it done in the next 3 months. :) 

Ben
I can't even begin to tell you guys how many phone projects I started, but haven't finished yet! They'll probably get done...in the next 10 years or so!
Christian Petterson