"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Explosive Atmosphere 320 on eBay

Started by TelePlay, June 28, 2015, 02:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: TelePlay on November 27, 2015, 10:58:20 AM
This phone, unlike the one in the first post of this topic, seems to be in very good, seller stated NOS, condition but again, wrongly described in the title "Industrial Explosion Proof Crouse Hinds Telephone." Based on the image date stamps, this phone may have been listed before on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vtg-Industrial-Explosion-Proof-Crouse-Hinds-Telephone-works-s212-U-wall-mount-/181944038896

Is it not the case that if this phone were to be in an explosion of sorts, the handset and its cord would most likely to survive? Same as with the WE 320 if caught in an explosion. However, the point of this post is to show a different version of the 320, both "Explosive atmosphere" phones.

These are often described as "explosion-proof" telephones, which is really a misnomer, and the descriptions by the manufacturers only refer to them as "for explosive atmospheres", or similarly.
They are not "explosion-proof", in fact they are designed to contain explosions to the interior of the unit, if they do occur due to arcing of contacts.  This prevents the propagation of the explosion to the mine atmosphere.  Ironically, if I recall correctly, the US certification uses the term "explosion-proof" as well.

If the mine explodes, and if anyone is left capable to operate the phone, the usability of it would be seriously in question anyhow, no matter how sturdy it is built, or were the lines run in indestructible conduits?

AE_Collector

Quote from: Sargeguy on June 29, 2015, 10:20:48 AM
I shipped one of these (minus the handset) in a USPS large flat rate priority mail box once.  It was a tight squeeze!!!

Oh oh....No room for lots of bubble wrap and double boxing! Another poorly packaged phone shipped by an eBay seller. I am certain the Post Office smashed it and Bad Feedback was left for all involved. At least the handset wasn't on the cradle this time or for once the phone would have smashed the handset instead of the handset smashing the phone.

Terry

unbeldi

Not exactly a 320 here, but this delicate Russian bunker instrument likely did withstand various severe abuses.

The handset likely was designed to be filled with vodka to keep the tongue and vocal cords lubricated during long nights on the phone.

Now priced down to the level of a case of top quality Русский Водка.

TelePlay

And only about 25 days to take advantage of the steal deal.

andre_janew

I remember seeing that phone!  I think I remember reading that it was very heavy because it was made of steel.  I can't prove it now because the link provided is dead.

andre_janew

Wait a minute!  The link is working now!  The phone is made of iron, not steel.  If $299 is too much, there is a slightly different version for $270 and a manual version for $198.

Sargeguy

QuoteOh oh....No room for lots of bubble wrap and double boxing! Another poorly packaged phone shipped by an eBay seller. I am certain the Post Office smashed it and Bad Feedback was left for all involved. At least the handset wasn't on the cradle this time or for once the phone would have smashed the handset instead of the handset smashing the phone.

Terry

That is how the buyer asked me to send it, and I did not need to include the scratched up G-3 and cracked cord in the package, so that helped. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Greg G.

Quote from: Dave F on July 01, 2015, 12:31:19 PM

Eventually, I'll install the 320 in the bathroom right next to my 1942  5gallon/flush Kohler Wellworth toilet -- a proper location, if there ever was one!

DF

Methane explosions when on the bathroom phone, I hate it when that happens!  Gotta get me a 320!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Briny...you know your wife loves you. Do you get the industrial size Glade as well? The one that looks like a fire extinguisher....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: Brinybay on November 29, 2015, 04:19:50 PM
Quote from: Dave F on July 01, 2015, 12:31:19 PM

Eventually, I'll install the 320 in the bathroom right next to my 1942  5gallon/flush Kohler Wellworth toilet -- a proper location, if there ever was one!

DF

Methane explosions when on the bathroom phone, I hate it when that happens!  Gotta get me a 320!

Some seller must be reading along on this thread, and, well  . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Western-Electric-320-Type-Rotary-Explosion-Proof-Mid-Century-Phone-/331720659671

Starting at $50 plus $40 shipping.

TelePlay

Just listed is a seller claimed "new" 520, a 320 with updates?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Lucent-520B-Hazardous-Phone-Atomic-Age-Wall-Mount-Huge-27-pounds-/161902028544

Atomic age?  Don't know but it is in great condition, but a bit high in price. But, the seller does post interior images which show several things including a sealed dial and a buzzer for a ringer.