News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 591

Started by contraste, April 17, 2009, 09:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

contraste

Can anybody shed some light on this model?

As you can see in the photo it is marked A/B 591 and dated 11 -6? (1, 4, ??)
paul-f.com comes up with this:

Desk set supplied to operating company with no ringer -- for installation of a frequency selective ringer for party line use.

The person selling the phone (here in the UK) tells me it works well and rings properly - you can see the bells in the picture.

Dennis Markham

The A/B 591 models were made by Western Electric with no Bell System markings for smaller Independent companies.  They usually were supplied with no ringers and the smaller TelCo put their own ringers inside, usually a frequency ringer.  You can see an example of a couple on Paul Fassbender's site.  I have run across a few in my travels.  Once a C4A ringer is installed it operates just like a regular model 500.  They're kind of interesting as the molded logos do not say Bell Systems (as mentioned).   Here the site:

http://www.paul-f.com/we591.htm

contraste

Thanks Dennis.

I did look at the paul-f.com site.

That shows a B variant. Were the A type essentially the same thing?

Seems that the one I am looking at has had a standard ringer installed at some stage but has lost its red line cord along the way.

Dan

Yes the line looks replaced, as well as the seven hole ear cap (instead of six).
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

The photo on Paul's site is titled "B" but the inset photo shows an A/B.  I don't know what the difference is between the A and B designation.

Dan

Contraste, it's a 1961, not a 1964. the '64 feet were smaller and rounder, whilst the 61's were like the suede older ones, but harder plastic
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

contraste

Thanks for all your help guys. Trying to decide whether to buy it or not.

McHeath

How much do they want for it? 

contraste

It was on Ebay UK, from a seller in England.

Starting price was £29.99 = £10.00 shipping ($58 approx. in total)

I let it go. It ended unsold, zero bids.

Should I have bid?

Dan

Email him back with a lower offer, you may get a deal