News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO Upgrades for a BT Bell 50E....

Started by twocvbloke, February 05, 2012, 03:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Okay, this bellset is annoying me, so, I've decided to use my scrappy ivory GPO746 to "upgrade" it to use better quality parts... ;D

Originally it was using a Unicoil as used in late 700-type phones, but made in the PRC, of course, and the bells, well, one sounds right (24B), the other (24A) sounds like a bicycle bell frankly, and both have lovely sharp knife-edge from the forming process which they didn't bother trimming off...

So, in come the proper parts, a 59D-1 coil, 4k Ohm of course, and the proper Bells 24A and 24B, fitting was easy as pie as the bellset was pretty much made for these part, so no bother there, I just need to wire on a cable properly and it'll be a nice bellset, which sounds like a GPO 746... :D

So, it's now more a GPO Bell 50C in a 50E case, but who's counting eh? :D

Pics of before (sort of, that pic is from www.telephonesuk.co.uk as I forgot to get a before pic of my own!!), and after... :)

twocvbloke

And whaddya know, the BT52A terminal block fits in that corner with the clips perfectly... :D

Owain

Joyful.

I've got 2 50Es - one with a proper pivoted ringer and one with the clapper mounted on the springy bit of metal. One of which does daily duty in the call as central bell.

twocvbloke

Yeah, the clapper I have here is the springy metal thing, that thing is annoying, you can hear the clapper clacking about more than the bells ringing, hence my need to replace the hardware with something quality... :D

That said, I have yet to come up with a use for this bellset, only got room for 1 more phone device on the landline (gotta love the REN rating), and I'm reserving that for my Cortelco 2554 when it's sent over... :)

Owain

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 05, 2012, 06:24:40 PM

That said, I have yet to come up with a use for this bellset, only got room for 1 more phone device on the landline (gotta love the REN rating), and I'm reserving that for my Cortelco 2554 when it's sent over... :)

Not got a PBX?

twocvbloke

Quote from: Owain on February 05, 2012, 07:32:43 PMNot got a PBX?

I have, but it's a BT/Nortel Meridian Compact system, with no ATAs, so can't use it for POTS phones... :(

I do keep meaning to get a Panasonic one though, but I keep forgetting to, only remembering after I've spent my pennies on other things... :D