News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I got a (nice) Telephone today. :-)

Started by dsk, December 15, 2009, 12:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

;D This Elektrisk Bureau  1934 modell was made for the Norwegian federal telephone company "Telegrafverket" from 1934 to 1953. This one is made before 1940, and modified with the button later.
This is "convertible" wall / table top telephone are still working.
During production it was painted 6 times. The dial is original Western Electric.
The cost in 1939 was NOK 80, adjusted to to days money-value: $390, about the double of the most inexpensive available.
Some of these are still in service in elderly peoples homes.

dsk

LarryInMichigan

d_s_k,

That is a very nice looking phone.  What is in the base that requires it to be so tall?

Larry

McHeath

Cool phone.  And expensive as well, like our phones here were as well.  I don't recall the last time I saw a really old phone still hooked up in someones home, other than us phone phreaks, but I'm sure that someplace out there someone is still using the phone they bought in 1939.

AET

The oldest phone I remember seeing hooked up (Remember, I'm 19) was our neighbors were older folks and their house was a step back to when it was built (60's, 70's) and I remember seeing a Moss Green and a Yellow 500 in the house that had been there since new.  The house is still a time capsule and I'd love to buy it from them someday, it's perfect.

I'd love to see a phone still hooked up from 1939 since new!
- Tom

dsk

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 15, 2009, 12:26:52 PM
d_s_k,

That is a very nice looking phone.  What is in the base that requires it to be so tall?

Larry

;D Its almost full of .... nothing.
Why? By loosening 2 screws on the hookswitch you may turn it 90 degrees, and use it as a wall telephone.  The base and cabinet is quite similar to the magneto telephone of the same year, so I guess they had a lot of common parts.

dsk