I've never seen this one before:

http://tinyurl.com/mtqaalg
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

I was just looking at that and contemplating sending an offer.  It will be no where near the asking price.  If it was in good shape it would easily sell for $500, but the condition is rough.  All it is missing is some bullet holes.  Still it would make a great addition to the "rare signs in crappy condition" part of my collection if the price was right.  I have the flange version of this sign that I am sending out to be restored.  This is not recorded in Bob Alexander's Collectors Guide to Antique Porcelain Enamel Telephone Signs  although he does have the generic AT&T version.  Ron Knappen's book does not have it either as far as I can tell.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 26, 2014, 12:22:01 PM
Still it would make a great addition to the "rare signs in crappy condition" part of my collection if the price was right.

So I'm not the only one with that part of a collection?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

Well it looks like this sign will be part of the Sargeant Collection of Un-Displayable Telephone Signs after all!  My best offer was accepted!

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The sign arrived today (actually I picked it up after USPS twice failed to deliver it to my house when I was home waiting for it).  ANyway the sign is slightly better than expected and should clean up mediocre.  I'll be able to remove a lot of paint drips and grime but the fading and rust and chipped enamel will remain. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Tim Mc

Cool sign.  I have a sign on the way that has some repainted sections in a crude restoral effort.  Do you typically remove these repainted sections and put the sign back to original chips and rust?

Sargeguy

If it is crudely restored I strip it and assess the problem.  Do you have any pics of the auction or sale?

I used a Brillo pad on the front of the sign and removed the old paint (Citrustrip had no effect) and it cleaned up slightly better than I expected, I'll move it from mediocre to OK.  The white paint is gone but t there is some slight brown hazing resulting from the damage on the back of the sign and the bend in the corner.  When a sign is struck with a stone or bullet, or in this case bent slightly or hit with a bar or bat, the integrity of the glass surface becomes compromised.  Tiny cracks form in the surface and the sign fades from blue-purple to navy blue.  Eventually, a brown matrix of rust and or mineral deposits form (if the sign is left on the ground). which appears as a haze that cannot be removed.   
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

This picture illustrates what I am talking about:

The enamel on the flange remains the original bluish purple, probably because it was sticking up and did not remain underwater or damp conditions for longer periods, so mineral deposits  did not form.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409