News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unwanted POP-UP's

Started by Dan/Panther, December 19, 2013, 11:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

All of a sudden I keep getting these damned Pop-ups. I have Pop-up blocker set, but I still get them.
Very annoying. Can anyone tell me how to stop them. virus, ad-ware, and spyware scans do not find them.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

twocvbloke

AdBlockPlus, works great for me, not an ad in sight across the whole internet... ;D

WesternElectricBen

Amen, twocvbloke.. Though, sometimes on a rare case I do get an add, but what is weird, is it's on this sight!

All you have to do is a quick refresh and you won't be bothered.

Ben

Dennis Markham

I'm pretty sure it's an issue with your machine, Dan.  Not getting any pop-ups on this site.  Anyone else?

Doug Rose

Kidphone

DavePEI

Dan:

There are various types of Adware which will place pop-ups on your screen. The worst thing is in many cases, that is not all they do to your machine - often they include key loggers and much more.  Get a copy of Adaware Free and do a scan of your system. It should rid you of them. Once again, as with antivirus products, make sure you have the latest updates installed before you run them.

Also, check your recently installed programs for Nav-Links and Websteroids. Several software distributors have been known to include them as secondary payloads on legitimate software installs and if you don't watch the install very carefully, they will install along with the desired software. Fortunately, in their case, they can be un-installed from Control Panel. As they masquerade as "legitimate" programs, A/V and Adware products won't find them. They do no harm to your machine, but are a pain!

Nav-links in addition to pop-ups will also randomly highlite phrases on your screen and turn them into hyperlinks to questionable sites which will show pop-ups when you mouseover them..

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WEBellSystemChristian

I was curious about the ads on the forum, and I wanted to see what the ad said this time. It was for Anti-Malware software. How ironic...
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Matilo Telephones

Yes, ads by google responds to the contect of the page you are looking at. I got an advertisment for a viruschecker just now.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

DavePEI

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on December 20, 2013, 07:27:38 AM
Yes, ads by google responds to the contect of the page you are looking at. I got an advertisment for a viruschecker just now.
Ahhh, now there is a good point. Google Ads can be turned off by going to your Google configuration.  It will also add pop=ups, especially when using Google Chrome.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Contempra

I don't use Google chrome because they are too intrusive on the privacy of Internet users.. I use only IE or Firefox .. Pay attention when you install a software because sometimes the software itself install Google chrome and a toolbar and often we have not need a tool bar.

twocvbloke

On my Androids, the ads I see on this forum are always for mobile phones, VoIP services and the occasional "Click here for a free virus scan!!!", yeah, riiiiiight.... :D

I would prefer to use a different browser on my 'droids, but Firefox for Android is rubbish (kind of like the desktop version, it's never happy!!), so I just put up with ads, I on't use my android devices much for internet browsing anyway... :)

wds

Since it's Green Card related, maybe it's the NSA letting you know that your "domestic" servants need to be registered?  Like the Indian diplomat that only pays her servants a couple dollars an hour?
Dave

Dennis Markham

I got an e-mail today from someone that is not a member of the Forum.  She said that when she viewed the Merry Christmas topic she got a warning from Google Chrome stating there was malware coming from page 6 of the topic:

The response in part is:

Content from planetsmilies.net, a known malware distributor, has been inserted into this web page. Visiting this page now is very likely to infect your Mac with malware.
Malware is malicious software that causes things like identity theft, financial loss, and permanent file deletion. Learn more"
This is the link of the infected page (page 6 of the topic):
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=372.75

Perhaps a photo is posted off-site?  Didn't we experience this same thing some time ago?  From Planetsmiles?  Will have to double check photos and or signatures for possible links to this site.

~Dennis

jsowers

Dennis, it's the one from CraigT, right below "Merry Christmas from Michigan." On dialup I just get a red X, but mousing over it I get planetsmilies as the link to it.

Dan, when I worked in IT at the school system I always used the free version of malwarebytes and did a Quick Scan and it worked wonders. As Dave said, always make sure it's updated to the latest definitions before you scan. You'll be amazed what you find.
Jonathan

twocvbloke

I can't see anything referring to Planetsmilies, either ABP is doing it's job, or Avast's own malware thing is blocking it...