"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unwanted POP-UP's

Started by Dan/Panther, December 19, 2013, 11:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
It's not CRPF, it's my machine, But no program I install ever finds the bug. I'm downloading Ad Block Plus, right now.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

Twas 5 Days before Christmas,
and all through D/P's house.
Not an ad was to be found,
Not even as small as a mouse.
All the websites they visit,
Where as clean as a bell.
Because, with Ad Block Plus installed,
They all went straight to Hell.

Merry Christmas..
D/P

TelePlay

Dennis Markham

Quote from: Dan/Panther on December 20, 2013, 01:42:28 PM
Twas 5 Days before Christmas,
and all through D/P's house.
Not an ad was to be found,
Not even as small as a mouse.
All the websites they visit,
Where as clean as a bell.
Because, with Ad Block Plus installed,
They all went straight to Hell.

Merry Christmas..
D/P

Thanks for the laugh, Dan.  Glad you have been able to rid your computer of the Ad junk. :)

Dan/Panther

I went to the site. Clicked on the download for Ad Block plus. It downloaded, installed with just one click, no saving, no installing. Great to have the Pop-ups gone.
What a miserable idea they are in the first place. I would not buy ANYTHING from a Pop-up ad.
D/P

twocvbloke

The sad thing is, there are people out there using the internet who will click on as as they look so tempting, and that's pretty much how these fraudulent people get their fish on the hook as it were, but, they must be making money if they're paying for ad space, whether or not it's legitimate... :-\

Unfortunately, the internet is like commercial television & radio, there's plenty of good stuff out there, you just have to sift through the ads to get to it... :D

Greg G.

Quote from: Dennis Markham on December 20, 2013, 05:08:51 AM
I'm pretty sure it's an issue with your machine, Dan.  Not getting any pop-ups on this site.  Anyone else?

No, and I'm using Adblock Plus, but the only ad on this forum is the blurb across the top.  Adblock blocks even that.  I seem to remember that planetsmiles or whatever it's called appeared one other time in another thread.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

Question?

It seems one needs both programs, "Malwarebytes" and "Adblock Plus" to be totally clean and clear.

Malwarebytes to scan and remove the bad stuff after updating the definitions and then running the scan and then Adblock Plus to keep running in background to keep pop ups from appearing. Would that be correct?

DavePEI

Hi Dennis:

Found it in a message from Craig T. I have removed the link...

Yes, we had it happen once before. Someone used a PlanetSmilies smiley in a message and it began triggering several users scanners. I removed it, too.

It wasn't an image but a smiley in both cases. (Ok, guys I realize smilies are images, but I mean a phone image, etc.). Planetsmilies has only smilies, but they are known as a source for malware, which is why they trigger such warnings.

So, I must ask that you all avoid using smilies from Planetsmilies, as we know they can cause this problem. At any rate, the offending link has been found and removed...

They can be removed, but the fact they are there until found could scare some well intentioned users from using the forum in the meantime.

Dave

Quote from: Dennis Markham on December 20, 2013, 12:38:20 PM
I got an e-mail today from someone that is not a member of the Forum.  She said that when she viewed the Merry Christmas topic she got a warning from Google Chrome stating there was malware coming from page 6 of the topic:

The response in part is:

Content from planetsmilies.net, a known malware distributor, has been inserted into this web page. Visiting this page now is very likely to infect your Mac with malware.
Malware is malicious software that causes things like identity theft, financial loss, and permanent file deletion. Learn more"
This is the link of the infected page (page 6 of the topic):
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=372.75

Perhaps a photo is posted off-site?  Didn't we experience this same thing some time ago?  From Planetsmiles?  Will have to double check photos and or signatures for possible links to this site.

~Dennis
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

HarrySmith

If you want to use smilies use the ones the forum provides at the top of your message box ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Greg G.

I like Adblock because it works well, and it also tells you how many ads are being blocked.  On this forum, it's only one, on Facebook, I've seen it go as high as 60+.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Contempra

exact brinybay.. I have adblock too but if you want to download a film, or something else, it blocks the link sites for what you want ;(

DavePEI

Quote from: Brinybay on December 21, 2013, 02:14:28 PM
I like Adblock because it works well, and it also tells you how many ads are being blocked.  On this forum, it's only one, on Facebook, I've seen it go as high as 60+.
I do.too. I have seen using it a long time with Firefox - so long, I almost forget I am using it. It is seldom that an ad slips through! It is one of those add-ons you can basically install and forget about.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

The only additional smilies I use are stored on my personal webspace, I never use any website that only allows you to use smilies that are attached to a code to send you to their website, they're not trustworthy, that's why I save ones I like and store them for my own use, much better than trusting known malware websites...