News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ITT 500

Started by guitar1580, January 20, 2020, 01:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitar1580

A local lady had this for sale on craigslist for a decent price.  It had been in her late parents' house since it was installed by the phone company around 1980.  Most all of the components are labeled 2/80, so it will turn 40 next month.  The discoloration of the white shows up a lot more in the photos than it does when you're looking at it directly.  I left the original number card.

She had said that her brother had some phones too, so she showed up with 2 AE80s, and a brown Southwestern Bell 500.  I bought them all.

Stormcrash

Very nice find. Hope you'll put up some pictures of the other phones as well

HarrySmith

Nice find. A peroxide treatment will make it look like new!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

guitar1580

Thanks folks.  Yes, Storm, I plan on getting pics of them as I get them cleaned up.  The one AE80 is Canadian.  I got all 4 phones for $55, at $13.75 each.

Harry, I've been considering some of the chemicals I've been reading about, such as peroxide or the acetone/alcohol mixture.  I actually have an AE80 that used to be white and is faded WAY more than the ITT, so I'm thinking of trying something out on that one first.

Pourme

Quote from: guitar1580 on January 20, 2020, 01:27:46 PM

A local lady had this for sale on craigslist for a decent price.....She had said that her brother had some phones too.....I bought them all.

Of course you did! Collections like ours become a sanctuary for wayward phones......it's our duty!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

HarrySmith

Either treatmant would work wonders on both of those! We like before & after pics!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Stormcrash

Quote from: Pourme on January 20, 2020, 02:45:06 PM
Of course you did! Collections like ours become a sanctuary for wayward phones......it's our duty!

Carry on my wayward phone,
For there'll be peace when you're on hook,
Lay your weary dial to rest,
Don't you ring no more
;)

guitar1580

Quote from: Pourme on January 20, 2020, 02:45:06 PM

haha, yea there wasn't much chance that I was going to take two and leave two.  I'd still be trying to decide which two.

Storm, I don't know about those lyrics ... but I guess as long as we don't have to hear you singing them.

I have to read up a little more on the chemical cleaning methods.  May try the peroxide first.  Seems less drastic.  Less toxic for winter time indoor work.

Key2871

Personally I'd go peroxide first, then go stronger if needed.
Acetone is a strong solvent and could damage plastics badly if not done right.
KEN

Stormcrash

Quote from: Key2871 on January 20, 2020, 04:37:55 PM
Personally I'd go peroxide first, then go stronger if needed.
Acetone is a strong solvent and could damage plastics badly if not done right.

I haven't tested peroxide but I agree that I would be wary of starting with alcohol and acetone. Alcohol can disolve soft plastics like Tenite and acetone can disolve ABS. Using liquid peroxide mixed with water for a retrobrite treatment at least means you can control the mixture and start off with a weaker and more gentle mixture

HarrySmith

The peroxide hair stuff in creme formula is the easiest I have found. You can get it at Sally's Beauty Supply. I use the 40 stuff on White. I recommend the creme as it is easier to apply and keep in place. Be sure to start with clean plastics. Put in a plastic tub or tray, brush creme on evenly and put out in sun for a few hours. I check every hour or so and rotate it or apply more if needed. The secret to getting good color is even exposure and even application. Down here in South Florida it takes 4-6 hours. It will depend on the sun where you are. There are a few topics on here about the process including a picture of the product. It has been a while since I did one so I can't recall the name right now.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Ideally, UV needed for the Peroxide treatment (a warm sunny day), or a good UV light box.

This thread a good read for the Chemical Sanding process:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?&topic=20168.0
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

guitar1580

This must be it.

https://www.sallybeauty.com/hair/hair-color/developer/40-volume-creme-developer/SLNCAR63.html

Yes, I'd really like to get that yellowed AE80 back to white.  I think it may be the first test specimen.

HarrySmith

Yes, that's the stuff. That AE would be a good candidiate for your first try.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Stormcrash

If you do pick the creme just be sure to make sure a nice even coat is applied, and don't reapply more cream without rinsing first. Otherwise you can get a marbled/uneven result. Using liquid peroxide in water will avoid the marbling risk and give you control over the concentration, but does require a larger container and making sure the plastic doesn't float up. For both methods ocasional rotation is needed to get even sun/heat exposure