News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AEP Deskset - Like a GPO 332 but from Portugal

Started by tubaman, January 23, 2020, 02:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubaman

This AEP (Automatica Electrica Portuguesa) phone has just come into my possession via eBay (£21.87 + £5 P&P). https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Rotary-Telephone-AEP-Black/114063392834 ( dead link 06-16-21 )

It's basically a GPO 332 that ATM made for the Portuguese market - hence the dial 24c rather than the usual GPO dial.
Bar its UK plug conversion this one seems nicely unmolested and original.
The base is helpfully marked '18 MAI 1957' so I suppose that is when it left the factory. The transmitter capsule has a 1963 date so has been replaced in service. 
I just need to find out what the dial card should look like as the one in it is a poor GPO copy and not correct.
:)

RB

FABphones

Well done.
Would you add a photo of under dialcard? What is holding the dialcard in place?
These fingerwheels have just one centre screw?

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

LarryInMichigan

The back side of the dial looks much like a North American AE dial, which wouldn't be surprising if AEP was a Portuguese division of AE.  I would expect that the dial center piece/card holder is very similar or the same as on a North American AE dial.

Larry

tubaman

Quote from: FABphones on January 23, 2020, 03:23:49 PM
Well done.
Would you add a photo of under dialcard? What is holding the dialcard in place?
These fingerwheels have just one centre screw?

The dial card is currently just pressed underneath the lip in the dial centre. It should have a GPO type metal clip to hold it but it is missing (I need to go through my spares as I'm sure I've got one somewhere).
The fingerwheel is held by two screws.

FABphones

I've checked for you, mine has just a repro gpo dialcard (and one centre screw).
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

Here's a photo of the dial centre showing the two screw fixing.
I've found a Portuguese card in a photo online so I've printed a copy of that for it. I still need to find a spare clip.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 23, 2020, 03:50:32 PM
The back side of the dial looks much like a North American AE dial, which wouldn't be surprising if AEP was a Portuguese division of AE.  I would expect that the dial center piece/card holder is very similar or the same as on a North American AE dial.

Larry

As was stated, this is an ATM product. ATM was set up with the assistance of AE at the beginning of 1912. At one time AE wholly owned ATM but not in the 1950s.

ATM made a Type 24 dial like the AE dial, a Type 24B and a Type 24C. This appears to be a Type 24C which uses a Siemens type card retainer with a circlip and AE based Siemens mount from the Dial No 3, 8 and 10. ITI was also licensed by ATM to make the 24B and 24C (I don't know if they made the Type 24).

ATEA was also licensed to manufacture ATM parts and telephones - many European and Commonwealth manufactures were. There were some exceptions; Thomson Houston (France) and Autelco (Italy) were licensed by AE directly.

Jack

countryman

The dial card has an "APT" emblem. APT or Aptofone was a different company, affiliate with Bell.
A while back I followed a wonderful WE 202 type Aptofone from Portugal on eBay, but missed it...
https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Portuguese_Telephone chrome will translate

tubaman

Quote from: countryman on January 25, 2020, 03:40:37 AM
The dial card has an "APT" emblem. APT or Aptofone was a different company, affiliate with Bell.
A while back I followed a wonderful WE 202 type Aptofone from Portugal on eBay, but missed it...

Well spotted - it looks like my search for a correct dial card continues.

Jack Ryan

APT was a telephone operating company, not a manufacturer. I don't know for certain but I don't see why that card would not be appropriate.

Jack

Jack Ryan

Do you have a picture?

Do you mean a Strowgerphone? These were made by ATM, ATEA and probably also AEP. The handset is marked Aptofone - the telephone company, not the manufacturer.

Thanks
Jack

countryman

Thanks for the explanation Jack.  I don't have a picture of the actual object any more. It was similar to this one:
Looks like it is an ATM model, and a different beast than a WE 202! Sorry for the misinformation @tubaman

Edited to add picture

tubaman

@countryman - no problem at all.

@ Jack Ryan - thanks for the information. The mount is very much like that on a Siemens No10 dial, but is subtly different. This uses the two screws to hold both the card holder and the finger wheel onto the dial. On a No10 two screws hold the card holder to the finger wheel and a centre screw then fixes them to the dial. My mount still retains the centre hole, but it has not been countersunk as it would be for mounting to a No10.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: countryman on January 25, 2020, 05:51:14 AM
Thanks for the explanation Jack.

You're welcome.

I don't have a picture of the actual object any more. It was similar to this one:
Looks like it is an ATM model, and a different beast than a WE 202!

Yes, that's a "Strowgerphone". It was designed by ATM and was based on the AE 1-A. Depending on the model (there are two) it contained an anti-sidetone transformer (Tele 162 circuit) or an anti-sidetone induction coil (Tele 232 circuit).

Jack