News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. 551C KTU setup help

Started by Babybearjs, November 20, 2015, 10:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

Well..... I got my 551 wired.... in a test mode... using 4 pair cable and RJ45 jacks for now. When the phone is plugged in I get a dial tone, and station light. when the call is held, the station light stays steady. the interrupter is not active. when I cleaned the unit I removed all jumpers on the 66 block. so... getting everything back to normal is a challenge. the BSP I have covers the unit but I don't understand the schematics all the way. what jumpers may I be missing? am I suppose to have jumpers on MB and MG to the P/S? or is it already wired? do I need a interrupter trigger lead? this is my first time working on one of these and I thought it had all the wiring complete....
John

podor

I'm by no means an expert on this side of the block, but I'll try to help. Do you know which interrupter you have? It appears that KS-19175 requires 10 volt AC and the KS-19385 requires 24 volt DC. The type will change whether or not some jumpers are installed.

Babybearjs

its the KS-19175. found the problem. based on the documentation from the KSSM Vol. 2., there is suppose to be jumpers prewired from the LB and LG to the MB and MG terminals. these were missing. once I reconnected these terminations, the interrupter started working. problem solved for now..... which 400 series card do you suggest I use?? right now, I am using 4- 400D cards. would 400H cards be better, or does it make any difference?
John

unbeldi

Quote from: Babybearjs on November 21, 2015, 11:48:00 AM
its the KS-19175. found the problem. based on the documentation from the KSSM Vol. 2., there is suppose to be jumpers prewired from the LB and LG to the MB and MG terminals. these were missing. once I reconnected these terminations, the interrupter started working. problem solved for now..... which 400 series card do you suggest I use?? right now, I am using 4- 400D cards. would 400H cards be better, or does it make any difference?

That depends a great deal on what you are planning to do with it. For 400D cards it depends on the Issue code.  I think it was Issue 15 that enabled bridged ring detection on a floating line, while earlier cards could only detect ringing when the tip side is grounded.  H cards didn't have the problem.  This is important when using VoIP ATAs, many of which don't ground the line.

D-15 cards are about twice as heavy as the H cards.

Babybearjs

the bsp that I'm looking at is 518-215-407, Page 10 Figure 5. it shows the factory wiring for the interrupter... on mine, this was missing.... so I had to add my own jumpers.... does anyone know if this problem was common to the 515? or did the tech have to do field wiring on the backside?
John

podor

Glad you are up and running! I'm pretty sure that was all factory. Some jumpers would need to be removed for the 24 volt interrupter. All dashed lines indicate factory wiring.

Babybearjs

Oh, I see.... 2 different voltages.... 2 different ways to power.... OK, Got it. the unit is for sale if anyone is looking for one... come with 4 400D cards.
John