News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE T500

Started by Dan/Panther, December 08, 2009, 07:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

What is a W.E. T500 what does the T stand for.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

From Paul Fassbender's site:

"Early single line w/ 425A net, no equalizer, but terminal block for handset leads. "
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

How would it differ from a CD500 ? Would it work basically like a CD 500 or would you need to change things ?
D/P

bingster

Not sure about that.  If you have your eye on one, I'd grab it.  It sounds like an unusual early variant.
= DARRIN =

benhutcherson

I have a 5/52 500T.

Since the 425A network didn't contain a varistor/equalizer, most early 500 sets had this component as a separate box located near where the handset cord enters the body.

The 500T didn't have the varistor, so in its place it had just a simple terminal strip.

I think that the 500 J/K is essentially the same thing

benhutcherson

I should also add that, while I haven't dug into the wiring, I hooked mine up by L1/L2 like any other 500 sets, and it works  fine.

I notice no appreciable difference in sound quality from mine vs. any other 500 set. Granted, we're on a type of VOIP through the cable company, where the line length is extremely short, and even before that we were only running on about a half mile of copper, so an equalizer isn't all that important.

Dennis Markham

My 500D from 1950 has the split network.  The large network is the 425A.  This is  not the T model but has the handset connection near where the wires go into the phone.  The second network is a bit different that Ben's.

McHeath

My 1951 J/K 500 has the same rig as the 500T.  It seems to work fine, I don't notice any difference at all compared to my other 500s, and we are using old AT&T landline. 

Coolness factor is high however, with the weird terminal connection and funky 425A network.   ;D

Dan/Panther

Unfortunately I missed the end of the auction by about an hour.
D/P

http://tinyurl.com/ygu9jf8

Enough to make you want to puke...

LarryInMichigan

D/P,

You would probably feel even worse if you had bid $13.00.  I know how I feel when it happens to me.

Larry