News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Odd dial on eBay: Please identify

Started by KaiserFrazer67, April 04, 2017, 02:03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KaiserFrazer67

Spotted this dial from the same seller from which I bought the AE 40 Signal Corps parts phone:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/192145416717

I'm not up on my dials, other than AE and WE and some older 1940s-'50s GPOs, all of which I've dealt with personally, and are all pretty distinctive to begin with.  I could probably recognize '40s-'50s-'60s Stromberg-Carlson dials by their dial card and fingerwheel retainers if the dial card wasn't there, but that's about it.  The fingerwheel and dial card ring appear to have a brushed finish; maybe a later GPO or from some kind of "Europhone"?  I have no idea... it could be from one of those 1970's foreign-made decorator phones, for all I know.  That "48" stamped on it could mean anything.

I'm not bidding on this, but I do have a watch on it as I'm interested to see if there's any value to it.  So far it's been up for several days and hasn't had a bite at US$9.99.
-Tom from Oakfield, Wisconsin --  My CO CLLI & switch: OKFDWIXADS0--GTD-5 EAX

"Problems are merely opportunities in workclothes." -Henry J. Kaiser

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: KaiserFrazer67 on April 04, 2017, 02:03:30 AM
I'm not bidding on this, but I do have a watch on it as I'm interested to see if there's any value to it.  So far it's been up for several days and hasn't had a bite at US$9.99.

I saw it but at US $51 for postage I won't be bidding for it either.

There is an earlier North dial with basically the same mechanism that looks like the attached.

Jack

KaiserFrazer67

Quote from: Jack Ryan on April 04, 2017, 03:38:10 AM
I saw it but at US $51 for postage I won't be bidding for it either...
Wow.  Whereabouts are you?  Colgate, WI is about an hour's drive from me; postage for this item to my location is US$7.20.

Thanks, all of you, for identifying it.  I'm somewhat familiar with North Electric and the "Galion" phones, which look a great deal like Canada's Northern Electric Uniphone "cousin" of the WE 302.  I know they were one of the independents, but I didn't know much more about them.

Don't need it as I don't have a North Electric Galion...  ...YET.  ;D

dsk

To Norway: Shipping: $47.20!!!!

USPS calculator:
Priority Mail International® Small Flat Rate Box
USPS-Produced Box: 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8"Maximum weight 4 pounds.
[/size]
Select a Delivery Option
Expected Delivery Day
Retail
Click-N-Ship®
Normal Delivery Time6 - 10 business days to many major markets[/size][size=0px]1,2[/size][/size]
$33.95
$33.95
dsk

dsk

Jack Ryan

Quote from: KaiserFrazer67 on April 04, 2017, 03:49:33 AM
Wow.  Whereabouts are you?  Colgate, WI is about an hour's drive from me; postage for this item to my location is US$7.20.

Australia, but that amount is over the top. It probably assumes the lazy man's flat rate box.

Don't need it as I don't have a North Electric Galion...  ...YET.  ;D

North dials are not only used on North telephones and that particular dial, especially the one I posted, pre-dates the Galion

Jack

KaiserFrazer67

Quote from: Jack Ryan on April 04, 2017, 09:00:34 AM
North dials are not only used on North telephones and that particular dial, especially the one I posted, pre-dates the Galion.

Jack
I see.  Thanks for the info!

mentalstampede

North dials are nifty. I've got a 7H6 Galion with one.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein