News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

need info on payphone top lock for Southwestern Bell/ Springfield MO

Started by hamradioandphones, February 08, 2018, 06:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamradioandphones

I am finally getting around to finishing my 1D2 payphone, and just ordered a 30C lock for the vault, and wanted to know what lock number would have been used in the Springfield Missouri (417 area code) for Southwestern Bell. I bought it with no locks and "converted for home use", so they pulled the relay out. I ordered the correct relay, and now have the vault lock coming. I do have a top lock with key installed, but thought it would be cool to have the one for my area.

hamradioandphones

Ok, thanks. I'm guessing the chances of finding one are slim, but I'll keep my eyes open. It has 29A 18 in it now, so it has something

TelePlay

A question on those locks.

What's the difference between an 18 and 60 with respect to a 29A lock?

poplar1

Different 29A Keys were used in different Bell geographical areas.
29A 18 was Cleveland, 29A 60 was Kansas City:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17353.msg179103#msg179103

COCOTs used 29B locks.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

hamradioandphones

Wow, that other article about the 29A keys is very cool! I wasn't sure how they were issued, if it was by area code, city, or, as it apparently is, major cities. This makes sense, as if it was by area code, there would be hundreds of keys! I wonder how they divided Missouri up, being there are keys for St Louis and Kansas City.
As far as locks for COCOTs, all the ones I used to see, as well as the 2 I own, have either Medeco or Abloy locks, never seen a COCOT with WECO style locks