News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello, New Member Here! - Marcelo L.

Started by Marcelo L., October 06, 2011, 04:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GG

Marcelo, after a while you'll get to where you can recognize different makes & model numbers by the differences in the sound of the ring.   That may have the side-effect of spoiling recent movies that use the wrong sound effects, e.g. "that's a 302, and they dubbed in a 500 ring, fail!"

But you'll know you've been spending too much time at this, when you can tell the difference between the sound of an AE 24 dial, AE 36 dial (or was that 24A36?), and Kellogg 15-G dial.  (For an added bonus, throw in the Japanese and French versions!  Hmm, do we have the ability to post audio tracks here?)

Marcelo L.

Quote from: GG on November 07, 2011, 03:22:38 AM

Marcelo, after a while you'll get to where you can recognize different makes & model numbers by the differences in the sound of the ring.   That may have the side-effect of spoiling recent movies that use the wrong sound effects, e.g. "that's a 302, and they dubbed in a 500 ring, fail!"

But you'll know you've been spending too much time at this, when you can tell the difference between the sound of an AE 24 dial, AE 36 dial (or was that 24A36?), and Kellogg 15-G dial.  (For an added bonus, throw in the Japanese and French versions!  Hmm, do we have the ability to post audio tracks here?)

GG, I know what you mean. It's kind of like the way I can tell the difference between a big block and a small block Chevy solely by the sound of the exhaust.  

I made a short video clip of the ringing sound, but I'm afraid the sound quality of my digital camera isn't the greatest. I'll see if I can upload it to youtube tonight and post the link here for you to hear.

AE_Collector

Small Block...Big Block....who cares. I miss the sound of a Chevy V8 ....period. Last one I owned was a 350 4 bbl (Q-Jet) in my 1974 Vega Woodie Wagon. Put it in myself. It turned a few heads!

Terry

Marcelo L.

Here's a link to the youtube video of the phone ringing. Sorry for the poor sound quality.

http://youtu.be/qELBVNC96iw

Marcelo L.

Here's a clip with much better sound quality than the previous version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PRWIKjnrM4

Marcelo L.

Hello,

I really like the look of the E-1 handset and was thinking of replacing my F-1 handset with one.

Should I expect a change in sound quality? If so, can I swap the earpiece and receiver over to the E-1 handset?

I've been using this phone daily now for over a year and I much prefer the sound quality over any modern phone I've owned.   

poplar1

The E-1 handsets malnufactured or reissued starting in 1935 had a 625A transmitter with  the same F-1 transmitter capsule as found in the F-1 handsets. You should get one of the later type. The earlier 395B "bullet" transmitters usually don't work too well.

The 557B receivers in an E-1 were never modernized. An HA1 receiver from an F-1 handset will not fit in an E-1. Still, the 557B receiver works well enough for daily use so long as the diaphragm is not bent.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

see photos: 395B transmitter first two pictures; 625A transmitters third photo

For 625A see also  C35.101-i2 in TCI library (not yet downloaded)
Reply #52 in http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=27.90

Marcelo L.

Quote from: poplar1 on March 01, 2013, 11:59:03 AM
The E-1 handsets malnufactured or reissued starting in 1935 had a 625A transmitter with  the same F-1 transmitter capsule as found in the F-1 handsets. You should get one of the later type. The earlier 395B "bullet" transmitters usually don't work too well.

The 557B receivers in an E-1 were never modernized. An HA1 receiver from an F-1 handset will not fit in an E-1. Still, the 557B receiver works well enough for daily use so long as the diaphragm is not bent.

If I use a spare transmitter out of one of my F-1 handsets, can I put it in my new E-1 handset?

Here's the phone I bought last night. I don't suppose we can tell it's age by the pictures, cane we? I'll take the E-1 handset off of this one and replace it with a spare F-1 handset I have.

1) 

2) 

poplar1

It probably already has an F-1 transmitter and 625A transmitter case. If it is the older 395B transmitter, then the F-1 transmitter won't fit.

HarrySmith

Looks like a date under the red wire in the second picture, year appears to be 36.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Marcelo L.

Here's the E1 handset installed. Love the look of it over the D1. 

1) 

poplar1

Does the handset have a 625A transmitter or 395B?

Marcelo L.

Quote from: poplar1 on March 09, 2013, 04:08:53 PM
Does the handset have a 625A transmitter or 395B?

You were right, it has the newer 625A transmitter. I don't notice a change in sound quality but my girlfriend seems to think that I sound a bit farther away when I call her.

Marcelo L.

Both my phones cleaned up.

1)