News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New Camera Cannot Post Pics

Started by Doug Rose, January 25, 2018, 09:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

What do I have to edit my pic to to get them to post. Old camera just posted...Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Of the two dimensions, the largest should not exceed 3,000 pixels. Most smart phone 12 MPixel cameras are 4,000+ by 3,000+ and they will not upload, will produce the blank or white screen lock up.

You may find a setting on your camera to reduce the quality of the image when saved. I have not explored that. I use MS Paint or Adobe Photoshop Elements (a very nice $65-75 software program with a lot of features and easy to use). There are other free image editing programs out there.

Paint is quite easy to open a large image, rotate if needed, crop it to exclude unnecessary background, resize it to a maximum 3,000 widest side, save it to your desk top and upload.

I don't know what Win10 offers for an editor, might be paint or called something else. Paint, if there, is easier, much more simple and has everything needed to crop, rotate and resize an image.

AE_Collector

Any digital cameras that I have owned have a megapixel setting that it will take the pictures in. If it were setvat 12 MP all pictures it takes will be somewhat around that size. It will like,y have some lower settings, 1 MP should be more than adequate.

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 25, 2018, 10:35:11 AM
Any digital cameras that I have owned have a megapixel setting that it will take the pictures in. If it were setvat 12 MP all pictures it takes will be somewhat around that size. It will like,y have some lower settings, 1 MP should be more than adequate.

Terry

Yes, digital cameras have the ability to adjust the capture setting from VGA to the best resolution of the camera. One way to see what happens when you adjust the capture quality is to look at the number of images that can be taken with the camera memory/storage. At 12 MPixels, there might be room for 40 images, dropping all the way down to VGA would increase that number to 1,000.

I'm not sure if that is available with smart phones but I do know that when I send an image taken with my iPhone to my email account, I have the option of 4 different qualities from full size to small.

Options are:

Actual size: 1.4 MBytes
Large:  554 KBytes (1/3 size)
Medium: 59.4 KByte (1/20th)
Small: 23.2 KByte

I am sure that the Large would upload without further modification. The Actual Size will not upload to the forum without being resized.

The above is the same effect with adjusting the image capture size on a digital camera. Trial and error with each camera would determine which setting would capture an image that could be uploaded without further processing.

Doug Rose

My L26 is taking pics at 4608x3456 now. Should i go to 3264x2448 or lower to 2272X2448. My old guy worked just fine for all these years....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on January 25, 2018, 11:18:57 AM
My L26 is taking pics at 4608x3456 now. Should i go to 3264x2448 or lower to 2272X2448. My old guy worked just fine for all these years....Doug

Another factor not mentioned is the depth of the image. Each pixel has a third dimension, or depth, that related to the color of the pixel. You new camera might have more color variations per pixel so the total file size of you image is 4608 x 3456 x ?depth?. The image as captured is really a cube (LxWxD) seen as a 2 dimension picture on the screen in glorious color.

You old camera must have a lower color resolution per pixel, or depth so that last number in the above equation would be smaller.

The white screen happens when the total files size causes the server buffer to over flow.

Take a picture with your old camera (best resolution - 12 MPixels) and then take the same picture with your new camera (best resolution - 12 MPixels) and move both to your hard disk. Then using the file explorer option, look at the total size of each image. I am willing to bet that the total files size of your new camera is greater than the old camera.

The quick solution is to set your new camera to 3264x2448, take a photo and try to upload it. That should work. You can also look at the total file size of that image, which will be much less than the 4000 by 3000 image.

If 3264 by 2448 does not upload, try the lower setting. I don't think you will have to do that but it would be the last quick option prior to image modification on a computer before uploading, rotating, cropping and resizing.

Doug Rose

Old camera has died. I will try the 3264....thanks. Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on January 25, 2018, 11:46:13 AM
Old camera has died. I will try the 3264....thanks. Doug

RIP!  You can compare total file size of an image taken with your new camera to any image you have taken in the past with your old camera. Light levels and image content have an effect on depth but should be minor when comparing.

You could take a picture of a phone you took with your old camera in about the same light and setting to get a better comparison.

Or just use the lower resolution and if it works, nothing left to do.

teka-bb

Don't reduce the size of the photos in camera.

Use a program like Irfanview to reduce the size of the photo on your computer.
http://www.irfanview.com/
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Dan/Panther

Doug;
I will open all of my photos in Windows Photo Gallery.
They have an option that says Email.
I select that, and choose a size smaller than original from the drop down list.
I then place those sized photo into a folder on my desktop, until I need them. Once posted I dump them, of courage I will keep the original in it's appropriate folder.
Depending on what photo edit program you have, all should have a resize option.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

TelePlay

Quote from: teka-bb on January 25, 2018, 12:15:53 PM

Yes, I would agree full with that but there are two schools of thought on taking and posting images. One is quick and dirty, just upload as taken and the other is move it onto a computer and use some image processing software to make it a "perfect" - rotated, cropped, resized - so fine detail can be seen.

A 12 MPixel camera has to much resolution at 72dpi that if cropped to 1/4 of the image, the image is still over 1,000 pixels on the largest side with great resolution to see the smallest details. Usually, images framed well only require about 20% of the image to be cropped away. That still may require downsizing. But all of that takes a few extra steps, transferring to a computer, loading software, manipulating the image and then uploading it.

Some prefer to upload directly from the camera memory/SD card or smartphone, to not use Irfanview, Paint or any other free image manipulation software. Just the way it is.

And, anyone who uploads an image in the 500-700 by 300-400 range need to rethink that in that those images are poor quality, poor resolution and do not expand to good resolution images. For example, wiring diagrams are nearly useless if posted under 2000 pixels on the largest side.

This composite is 3000 wide by 706 high. Took about 5 minutes to build it and it presents parts of the phone nicely at high resolution at 72 dpi, even after the SMF recoding.

This image was copied as uploaded by the seller at 1600 by 1168, a very nice, cropped image showing the phone well.

This is 340 by 309, granted, not worth a larger image for detail. Just an example of a low resolution, small image.

AE_Collector

Quote from: teka-bb on January 25, 2018, 12:15:53 PM

For sure if you will be filing these pictures away for possible reuse and as a record of the phone you sold etc.

But on the other hand if technically challenged in this area like me and you are just taking the pictures to post online and then sometime after the phone sells you go through and purge all the pictures, it is easier to take them in relatively low resolution to begin with. In Doug's case it is too bad the old camera died because I would have said keep it set to relatively low resolution just for all your posting and listing activity and use the new camera set to considerably higher resolution to take all your road trip and grandkid pictures.

One problem with changing the resolution back and forth for different projects is that sooner or later you will find yourself taking pictures of Niagara Falls in VGA level resolution.

Terry

TelePlay

VGA is 640 by 480, a long way from one step down on Doug's new camera.

It's what ever the taker wants to do, how much time they want to spend and what results they expect. I have all of my original images on disk and only post cropped and resized down image. One posted, I forget about that image, it goes into the trash. The original is always on my camera SD drive and when it fills up, the entire SD card gets copied to my Desk Top and then backed up to iDrive. No sense is saving an image in anything less than the resolution taken. No sense in keeping modified images posted to the forum, or eBay. On the forum, they are forever there as uploads and eBay, once the item sells they eventually go away by themselves.

As an example, this image was taken with a 12 MP digital camera (4,000+ by 3,000+), cropped to get rid of the white area and saved. Turned out to be a 1600 by 1337 image after cropping at uploaded at that size to eBay at 72 dpi. This image was copied off of the eBay listing. Very good detail.

The original image is still on my camera.

Doug Rose

thanks for all your help 3264 did the trick....Doug
Kidphone